Ten Sentimental Songs To Dedicate To Dad For Father’s Day
Music has a way of expressing the loving emotions we often feel, but is hard to express through words. Many artists have penned songs as an ode to fathers and say everything we feel about our dads through song. In honor of Father’s Day, check out ten of the best sentimental songs to dedicate to dad to show him how much he means to you!
1. “Dance With My Father” — Luther Vandross
Dedicated to his late father, this sentimental tune earned Vandross a Grammy for Song of the Year in 2003 and his first and only #1 album.
2. “My Father’s Eyes” — Eric Clapton
In his autobiography, Clapton describes the inspiration of the song saying “In it I tried to describe the parallel between looking the eyes of my son, and the eyes of the father that I never met, through the chain of our blood.”
3. “Just The Two Of Us” — Grover Washington Jr. ft. Bill Withers/Will Smith
The iconic collaboration between Washington and Withers on this hit got a whole new meaning once Will Smith covered it in 1998, giving it a father-son meaning.
4. “Daddy” — Beyoncé
An ode to her father (and former manager), Beyoncé recollects all her fond childhood memories spending time with her father.
5. “Father To Son” — Phil Collins
Collins offers some fatherly advice about love and life to his son.
6. “Father and Daughter” — Paul Simon
Written about his love for his daughter, Simon wrote this single for The Wild Thornberry’s Movie and was even nominated for an Academy Award for Best Song.
7. “Daddy Could Swear, I Declare” — Gladys Knight & The Pips
This song about a daddy who couldn’t read or write, but could definitely swear, was a loving jab at headstrong father figures we still love despite their minor faults.
8. “Papa Can You Hear Me?” — Barbra Streisand
This classic song from Yentl reaches out to a daughter’s deceased father for guidance as she disguises herself as a man to follow her dreams.
9. “Daddy’s All Gone” — James Taylor
Written about life on the road as a touring musician wishing he could get back home to his family.
10. “Unforgettable” — Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole
This classic ballad was re-recorded as a duet between father-daughter duo Nat and Natalie Cole after the passing of the legendary singer.
Read More Music News On Fresh1027.com:
- We Can Survive Recap: Taylor Swift, Pharrell, Ariana Grande Dazzle the Hollywood Bowl
- Danny DeVito Steals the Show in One Direction’s ‘Steal My Girl’ Video: Watch
- Ariana Grande, Maroon 5, Pharrell & Tim McGraw to Perform on ‘A Very GRAMMY Christmas’
- Impact: Taylor Swift Reveals Her Pop Side on New Album ‘1989’