Have you heard Sara Bareilles latest single “Brave”? Well, George Takei has and he’s a big fan of the song’s message.
The social media star and actor — best known for playing Mr. Sulu on Star Trek – took to his Facebook yesterday (April 23) to let his many, many fans know that they should listen to Sara B’s new song off her upcoming album, The Blessed Unrest (out July 16).
“Need a pick me up?” he wrote. “Here is a terrific new song with a great message…It’s by songwriters Sara Bareilles and Jack Antonoff, and it’s called ‘Brave.’”
Takei continued: “Sara explained in an interview that the lyrics were inspired by the story of a friend struggling to come out. They lyrics are also very apt for girls and young women trying to find their voice in a world that so often pressures them to stay silent. Enjoy.”
For Takei, who in 2005 revealed he was gay in an interview with Frontiers magazine, the song’s message is one he can relate to. “The world has changed from when I was a young teen feeling ashamed for being gay,” he said in an interview a year after coming out. “The issue of gay marriage is now a political issue. That would have been unthinkable when I was young.”
Takei’s approval of the song’s message is certainly nothing to sneeze at. With more than 600,000 followers on Twitter and 6,000 likes on the day-old Facebook post, the activist has a lot of clout in the LGBT world.
- Sara Bareilles Bravely Embarks Into New Territory With Solo Tour, New Lyric Video
- Sara Bareilles Encourages Girls To Be ‘Brave’ With New fun.-Assisted Single
- Sara Bareilles Gets ‘Brave’ With Third Album And Solo Tour
More Sara Bareilles News On Fresh1027.com
- Beyonce, Sara Bareilles, U2 & More Offer Songs to Philippines Relief Compilation
- Interview: Sara Bareilles Talks Going Solo, Her Gay Anthem and the Power of Beyonce
- Watch Katy Perry ‘Roar’ Live with Ellie Goulding, Sara Bareilles, Tegan and Sara, Kacey Musgraves
- Katy Perry, Kacey Musgraves & More Bring Pop Fun & a Good Cause to We Can Survive Show