Jessie Ware made her Coachella debut not once but twice this weekend: in her own Sunday afternoon set and during the set of British electronic duo Disclosure, when she popped on stage to sing along with their remix of her song “Running.”
Before she hit L.A., Ware talked to Radio.com about her stage style. And then we talked to Teen Vogue’s Fashion News Director, Jane Keltner, about how you can pull it off.
- PHOTOS: Wu Tang Clan Reunite @ Coachella 2013
- PHOTOS: Coachella 2013 As Seen By Instagram
- PHOTOS: Performances at Coachella 2013: Day 1
- PHOTOS: Performances at Coachella 2013: Day 2
- PHOTOS: Performances at Coachella 2013: Day 3
“The style for the shows has been a crop top because I have [a] relatively flat stomach and it may not always be flat, so I hide the bits that I don’t like and I show the bits that I don’t mind…[Wearing] high waisted trousers [and] I love wearing these slippers that I’ve got, these Penelope Chilvers slippers that have J.W. on the front just because I feel like a pimp,” Ware confessed. “Sometimes I go for the more uncomfortable high heel. But, yeah, usually like a blazer, a crop top, big hoops — I feel kind of naked if I don’t have a hoop in.”
Ware performed both of her Coachella shows in crop tops with high-waisted skirts. Not an easy look for everyone to make work. Keltner says there is a trick to it: proportion of the clothes and having a defined waist helps.
“It accentuates the waist, so you want to wear it with a top that will highlight that—something fitted or that you can tuck in,” Keltner advises. “If you’re a little more daring, pairing a high-waisted short, pant, or skirt with a crop top is a fun way to show a hint of skin without revealing too much. I loved the way Katy Perry did this at the Kids Choice Awards. Rihanna is another celebrity who’s a pro at pulling off the crop-top-with-high-waisted-pant combo. If you’re stuck on how to wear the trend, try looking at images of favorite runway shows or celebrities to get style inspiration (as well as tips on what not to do!).”
Read More Music News On Fresh1027.com:
- Demi Lovato to Discuss Sexuality in New Documentary
- Taylor Swift Meets Her Multiple Selves in New Behind the Scenes Clip
- Who Are The Best Pop Songwriters Of Our Generation?
- Have You Ever Had The Cops Called On You?
- Watch Demi Lovato & Jimmy Fallon Have a ‘Lip Sync Conversation’
- Artists Send Thoughts & Prayers to Mexico City Following Earthquake