Style Files: Christian Joy On Costuming Karen O of Yeah Yeah Yeahs
In this edition of Style Files, the Brooklyn-based costume designer told us that for the band’s latest album, Mosquito, she and Karen collaborated on a new look they’ve never explored before: suits. A few have been on display already, but you’ll see even more as she takes the stage to play Coachella, Great Googamooga, Firefly Music Festival, and T in the Park.
- PHOTOS: Wu Tang Clan Reunite @ Coachella 2013
- PHOTOS: Coachella 2013 As Seen By Instagram
- PHOTOS: Performances at Coachella 2013: Day 1
- PHOTOS: Performances at Coachella 2013: Day 2
- PHOTOS: Performances at Coachella 2013: Day 3
Watch below, as Joy explains how she dresses Karen O for the stage, the politics of androgynous costuming and how you should dress for this summer music festival season.
The idea of wearing suits on stage is an interestingly androgynous one. Joy explained that many of her fashion influences are more male — think David Bowie and James Brown — because they seem to have more power. And, practically speaking, while wearing a suit no one in the photo pit can shoot up your skirt.
Read More Music News On Fresh1027.com:
- Spooky TV Shows Are On the Rise: 5 To Watch Out For
- Honda Pulls April Fools Prank with Selfie Car
- Mulder Sings? David Duchovny Sets Release Date for Debut Album ‘Hell or Highwater’
- Justin Bieber Scrapped a Whole Album, Is Working on New One with Kanye West, Rick Rubin
- Madonna: Calling TIDAL the llluminati Is ‘the Highest of Compliments’
- Did Louis Tomlinson Diss Zayn Malik at a Recent Show?