Justin Timberlake Rocks The White House, Holds Top Spot On Chart
Justin Timberlake caused quite a tizzy at the White House on Tuesday (April 9). The “Suit & Tie” singer was visiting as part of an interactive student workshop called “Soulsville, USA: the History of Memphis Soul” and when First Lady Michelle Obama introduced him the kids went crazy.
She later used the Memphis, Tennesse native’s dedication as an example to all the students in attendance that working hard really does pay off.
“[When] Justin first started touring he would immediately go to the bus to watch a tape of his performance,” she told the crowd. “Taking notes so that the next night he would be even better.”
Alex Wong/Getty Images
It certainly worked. After just missing a million his first week on the Billboard 200 album chart, Timberlake has managed to hold the top spot since the release of The 20/20 Experience on March 15. This week he sold over 139,000 copies for a three-week total of 1,425,962 copies sold.
Later on Tuesday night, Timberlake performed the Otis Redding classic “(Sittin’ On) the Dock of the Bay,” for the First Family, who were reportedly singing along, as part of the “In Performance At The White House” series.
JT fans can watch his soulful performance, along with other acts including Mavis Staples, the Alabama Shakes and American Idol finalist Joshua Ledet, Tuesday, April 16 on PBS.
Read More Music News On Fresh1027.com:
- Interview: Joe Perry on Marriage, His New Memoir and the Future of Aerosmith
- Annie Lennox Says Twerking Has Nothing to Do with Feminism
- There’s All Kinds of Color in Gwen Stefani’s Video for ‘Baby Don’t Lie': Watch
- UNICEF Using Music to Educate Liberia About Ebola with ‘Ebola is Real': Listen
- Taylor Swift is Your Tour Guide in ‘Welcome to New York’
- Watch Taylor Swift’s Visit with the Naked Chef, ‘Shake It Off’ Parody ‘Bake It Off’