Listen: M83’s Anthony Gonzalez Scores Oblivion Soundtrack
After moving to Los Angeles to pursue his dream of soundtrack work, M83’s Anthony Gonzalez finally scored… big. With the success of six albums under his belt, Gonzalez was tapped by director Joseph Kosinski to set the musical tone for Oblivion, the big budget sci-fi flick starring Tom Cruise, which opens April 19.
“I’ve wanted to do soundtracks for so long, and starting with such an ambitious project, especially in the sci-fi category, means a lot to me,” he told The Playlist last summer. “My vision is really to have a combination of very electronic moments, very M83, and sometimes merge into something more soundtrack-y, but my kind of soundtracks.”
Speaking of the challenge, Gonzalez said, “I like challenges and it excites me more than frightens me.” He went on to explain that he can’t wait to hear his music played by amazing musicians, and an orchestra and brass and choir. “It’s a chance to create something big and I’m ready for it,” he added.
According to Kosinkski, he was listening to M83 while he was conceiving Oblivion. Speaking about the small cast and film’s multitude of emotions, Kosinski said “[Gonzalez's] music is able to capture all those different feelings and qualities simultaneously.”
This isn’t the first time Kosinski has worked with a French electronic act. Kosinski set the music of Daft Punk to his last work, Tron: Legacy. The soundtrack was heralded as one of the best aspects of the film.
Listen to the full Oblivion soundtrack here.
Read More Music News On Fresh1027.com:
- Angelina Jolie And Brad Pitt Get Married In France
- The College Life of Weezer Frontman Rivers Cuomo Inspires New TV Show
- John Lennon’s Killer Says He’s ‘Sorry For Being Such An Idiot’
- Jack White, Eddie Vedder & Paul Simon All Went to the Same Mariners Game: See the Epic Group Photo
- Lady Gaga Joins Queen and Adam Lambert for “Another One Bites the Dust” Live: Watch
- Single Again: Semisonic – ‘Closing Time’