This Week On FM Magazine: S.L.E. Lupus Foundation New York Bag Ladies Luncheon
Deb Gordon’s guest was Margaret G. Dowd, Executive Director of The S.L.E. Lupus Foundation, which is an organization that leads the nation in providing direct patient services, education, and public awareness regarding Lupus. The Foundation was founded in 1970 in New York by families affected by lupus and has grown to work on a national level helping tens of thousands of people with lupus and their families cope with the anxieties and confusion that the disease causes. The organization also raises funds to support lupus research grants in partnership with the Lupus Research Institute (LRI).
Ms. Dowd provided data about Lupus, which is a complex and dangerous chronic illness that affects mostly young women, and is difficult to diagnose due to symptoms that mirror many other maladies. Also discussed, were how the Foundation promotes early diagnosis of lupus and provides support to people with the illness—especially in disadvantaged neighborhoods of New York City through public service campaigns, public education programs and community outreach efforts. Ms. Dowd also talked about the Foundation’s efforts to address racial disparities in lupus through community-based programs that focus on the effective management of chronic disease in minority women.
Spotlighted the S.L.E Foundation’s fifth annual New York Bag Ladies Luncheon where designer and celebrity handbags will be auctioned off to help raise the necessary funds to help those struggling with the devastating disease that is lupus. The luncheon Chairs include former NY State First Lady Matilda Raffa Cuomo, and opera legend Jessye Norman.
For more information, visit www.lupusny.org.
Read More Music News On Fresh1027.com:
- 5 Facts We Learned About Kodaline’s New Album ‘Coming Up for Air’
- Hunter Hayes Performs Emotional Cover of Sam Smith’s ‘I’m Not the Only One': Watch
- Giorgio Moroder Announces First Album in 30 Years, Debuts Sia-Featuring Single: Listen
- Pitbull’s Next Album Is Called ‘Dale’ & Everything Is Right with the World
- Win a Trip to See Mumford & Sons in NYC: Play Pingo
- Wanna Be Fall Out Boy’s Assistant for a Day? Their ‘Uma Thurman’ Video May (or May Not) Deter You