This Week On FM Magazine: HealthCorps®
Deb Gordon’s guest was Juan Brea, Chief Operating Officer at HealthCorps®, which is a health movement co-founded by heart surgeon and TV personality, Dr. Mehmet Oz and his wife Lisa that serves as a Peace Corps for health to fight obesity and develop mental resilience by educating students and communities to take charge of their health. The organization develops peer mentoring initiatives in high schools using recent college graduates to empower teens in underserved populations to make simple lifestyle changes to enhance their well being and resilience and to take what they’ve learned to their friends, families and neighbors.
Mr. Brea discussed the varied roles of the HealthCorps® coordinators who mentor high school students, and also discussed the positive impact the program has on the coordinators, their students, and the faculty. Also discussed HealthCorps®’ community outreach on a local, state and national level, and their advocacy work for policy shifts to put physical education back into the core curriculum of schools, and also provide healthier, more natural school meal alternatives.
Spotlighted the HealthCorps® Grassroots Garden Gala, which is an increasingly popular event that raises funds and awareness about the issue of obesity, and will honor Harold Hamm and Marlo Thomas. HealthCorps® will also be holding their Highway to Health Fair on May 19 at South Street Seaport. The Fair is a free day for families to learn about health and obesity prevention, enjoy fun activities, get health screenings and giveaways. The community is encouraged to come out and enjoy the fair and also show support for the downtown area, which was adversely affected by Superstorm Sandy.
For more information visit www.healthcorps.org.
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Danny DeVito Steals the Show in One Direction’s ‘Steal My Girl’ Video: Watch
- Ariana Grande, Maroon 5, Pharrell & Tim McGraw to Perform on ‘A Very GRAMMY Christmas’
- Impact: Taylor Swift Reveals Her Pop Side on New Album ‘1989’
- Matt Nathanson Partners with Starkey Hearing Foundation to Raise Awareness for the Hearing Impaired
- #InThatOrder: Ranking Maroon 5 Albums From Worst To Best
- Ariana Grande Started Questioning Catholicism After Brother Came Out as Gay