Tony Bennett Honored At Amy Winehouse Foundation Inspiration Gala
Singer Tony Bennett was honored with a lifetime achievement award at the first annual Amy Winehouse Foundation Inspiration Awards and Gala, which took place at New York’s Waldorf Astoria Hotel on Thursday (March 21).
The award was presented by Harry Belafonte, who mentioned that Bennett actually introduced him to Winehouse’s music.
Amy Winehouse recorded a duet with Bennett for the award winning single “Body & Soul” off his album Duets II. That was Winehouse’s last musical recording before her accidental death due to alcohol poisoning in 2011, at the age of 27.
Although Winehouse passed away at such a young age, Bennett doesn’t believe that her death was tragic, because she fulfilled her dream of being a successful musician.
During the tribute, Bennett debuted a never-before-seen video for the single.
Jennifer Hudson, who also performed at the event, was given a standing ovation for her performance which included her signature Dreamgirls anthem “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going” and “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.”
Winehouse’s parents, brother and her long time producers Mark Ronson and Salaam Remi were also among the attendees.
- Maria Bonello, Fresh 102.7/NYC
Read More Music News On Fresh1027.com:
- Check Out Rihanna’s Sensual New Rogue Man Fragrance Ads
- Katy Perry Isn’t Part of the Illuminati — But She’d Like to Be
- Sam Smith’s Video for ‘I’m Not The Only One’ Gives Us a Very Sad Dianna Agron
- Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch Could Be Yours For $50 Million
- Radiohead: Jonny Greenwood Announces Live Debut of ‘Water,’ Phil Selway Releases ‘Coming Up for Air’ Video
- Ne-Yo Sues Ex-Manager Who Allegedly Cheated Him Out of Over $4 Million