Singer Tony Bennett was honored with a lifetime achievement award at the first annual Amy Winehouse Foundation Inspiration Awards and Gala, which took place at New York’s Waldorf Astoria Hotel on Thursday (March 21).
The award was presented by Harry Belafonte, who mentioned that Bennett actually introduced him to Winehouse’s music.
Amy Winehouse recorded a duet with Bennett for the award winning single “Body & Soul” off his album Duets II. That was Winehouse’s last musical recording before her accidental death due to alcohol poisoning in 2011, at the age of 27.
Although Winehouse passed away at such a young age, Bennett doesn’t believe that her death was tragic, because she fulfilled her dream of being a successful musician.
During the tribute, Bennett debuted a never-before-seen video for the single.
Jennifer Hudson, who also performed at the event, was given a standing ovation for her performance which included her signature Dreamgirls anthem “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going” and “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.”
Winehouse’s parents, brother and her long time producers Mark Ronson and Salaam Remi were also among the attendees.
– Maria Bonello, Fresh 102.7/NYC
Read More Music News On Fresh1027.com:
- Daya Announces Headlining Tour Dates
- Lady Gaga Shares ‘Joanne’ Title Inspiration
- Win Tickets To See NeedToBreathe At The Beacon
- MTV Brings Back ‘TRL’ for One Day to Register Young Voters
- ‘On the Spot’ with Carson and Cane: How Much Does One Pound of Lemons Weigh?
- Could Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie Be the Next Celebrity Couple?