Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong On Substance Abuse: ‘It Was A Complete Blackout’
After several (rumor-filled) months of silence, Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong has opened up about the substance abuse issues that landed him in rehab late last year, following a much-publicized onstage meltdown last September.
“I couldn’t predict where I was going to end up at the end of the night,” Armstrong told Rolling Stone regarding his alcohol and prescription drug addictions. “I’d wake up in a strange house on a couch. I wouldn’t remember how. It was a complete blackout.”
When asked specifically about last September’s tirade at a radio festival in Las Vegas, Armstrong says he has little recollection of smashing his guitar onstage and hurling expletives about Justin Bieber.
“I remember tiny things,” he said. “The next morning, I woke up. I asked [my wife] Adrienne, ‘How bad was it?’ She said, ‘It’s bad.’ I called my manager. He said, ‘You’re getting on a plane, going back to Oakland and going into rehab immediately.'”
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- What Is Mariah Carey Working on with Justin Bieber and French Montana?
- #OnTheList with Xtine: 4 Musicians You Will Instantly Fall In Love With After One Listen
- Win Passes To The World Premiere of “The Man From U.N.CL.E.”
- Be in Pharrell’s Next Music Video, We’ll Tell You How
- Smokey Robinson to be Honored By Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Duran Duran’s Simon Le Bon Reveals the Glue That Kept ‘Paper Gods’ Together