Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong On Substance Abuse: ‘It Was A Complete Blackout’
After several (rumor-filled) months of silence, Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong has opened up about the substance abuse issues that landed him in rehab late last year, following a much-publicized onstage meltdown last September.
“I couldn’t predict where I was going to end up at the end of the night,” Armstrong told Rolling Stone regarding his alcohol and prescription drug addictions. “I’d wake up in a strange house on a couch. I wouldn’t remember how. It was a complete blackout.”
When asked specifically about last September’s tirade at a radio festival in Las Vegas, Armstrong says he has little recollection of smashing his guitar onstage and hurling expletives about Justin Bieber.
“I remember tiny things,” he said. “The next morning, I woke up. I asked [my wife] Adrienne, ‘How bad was it?’ She said, ‘It’s bad.’ I called my manager. He said, ‘You’re getting on a plane, going back to Oakland and going into rehab immediately.'”
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Imagine Dragons Release New Song ‘Warriors’ For ‘League of Legends’ Video Game: Listen
- Paul McCartney Plans Collector’s Edition of ‘New’ for October
- Bono, Liam Neeson Have Been Screenwriting a Film Together
- Chrissie Hynde on Too Much Sex Appeal in Pop: ‘Maybe They Should Just Be Making Porn Films’
- Metallica to Release Box Set of Recordings of Every 2014 Show
- Sharon Osbourne Says U2 Gave Away ‘Mediocre Music’ for Free Because ‘No One Wants to Buy It’