BRIT Winner Emeli Sande Talks “Next To Me”
When Emeli Sandé accepted her second BRIT Award for Best Album on Wednesday, February 20, the Scottish singer said she was a “very unlikely pop star.”
Sandé, whose debut, Our Version Of Events, was the most popular album in the U.K. last year, explained that she had written her record as a way to overcome her fears.
“This is an album I wrote because I didn’t have the confidence to say these things in person,” she told the crowd. “For me, that so many people have connected with this album and found strength in these words makes me feel incredible and it doesn’t make me feel as lonely.”
Any loneliness that Sandé is still feeling might go away soon, being that America, just like all those music fans across the pond, are starting to feel a kinship with her first single, “Next To Me.”
For the song, which Sandé wrote with her producers Craze & Hoax in their bedroom, she told Radio.com she wanted to write a relatable love song, but didn’t want to get too caught up in the songwriting process.
“I just thought the people who I’ve been inspired by…managed to keep things very poetic, very simple,” she said.
While working on her album, Sandé was listening to a lot of Bob Dylan and Aretha Franklin, two singers who have always had a knack for writing simplistic, but beautiful lyrics. For her own song she wanted to get straight to the point. no matter what,
“’Next To Me’ is just that simple message,” she explained. “‘You’ll find him next to me,’ end of story. Like…there’s no excuses, he’s always there standing.”
Check out Sandé’s video for “Next To Me” off Our Version Of Events below.
-Shannon Carlin and Courtney E. Smith, Radio.com
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Ingrid Michaelson Looks To The Past For Inspiration On ‘Time Machine’
- War Gets Romantic in Vance Joy’s ‘Georgia’ Video: Watch
- Ed Sheeran Gives Newly Married Couple Surprise of a Lifetime at Their Wedding: Watch
- Here’s Billy Zane Reading Tweets Meant for Zayn Malik
- Duran Duran’s New Album Features Nile Rodgers, John Frusciante, Mark Ronson Collabs
- Zayn Malik Breaks Silence About Quitting One Direction, Plans Solo Career (Eventually)