Toni Braxton Retires From Music To Pursue Acting
With six GRAMMYs to her name and over 66 million albums sold, Toni Braxton’s soulful voice has been a fixture in R&B music for over two decades. But now the singer says she’s ready to walk away from it all to become a Hollywood starlet.
Braxton revealed to NBC’s The Grio that she plans to retire from music so she can focus on landing more acting roles on the big and small screens.
“For what I do I have to love it. I have to feel that excitement and it’s gone,” Braxton said. “I’m just not going to do any albums anymore; maybe touring occasionally here and there because I love performing, but not as much as I did in the past. But no new projects.”
The singer, who currently stars in her own reality show Braxton Family Values on WE, recently starred in the Lifetime Original Movie Twist of Faith, and is eager to land more roles beyond her reality series.
“I hate to have ‘reality star’ behind my name,” Braxton said. “That’s just not what I wanted to be when I grew up.”
Braxton is no stranger to the big screen. In 2001, she appeared in Kingdom Come alongside LL Cool J, Jada Pinkett-Smith and Vivica A. Fox. She’s also starred on Broadway in Beauty and the Beast and Aida.
Though she doesn’t have any projects currently lined up, Braxton hopes to someday land more role that challenge her and surprise her fans.
“I would like to play a lesbian,” she said. “I don’t know why. And do a whole make-out scene and the whole thing; just something completely different than people would expect from me.”
Until her transformation into a movie star is complete, fans can continue to catch Toni on the small screen.
Season three of Braxton Family Values premieres March 14.
– Britt Bickel, 94.7 The WAVE
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Beyonce Celebrates Her Birthday With A ‘Crazy In Love’ Remix
- Snoop Dogg Slams ‘Deflategate’ Decision, Wants Player’s Marijuana Suspension Vacated
- Beyonce’s B-Day and the U.N. Campaign to Combat Climate Change + Inequality
- Harry Styles Loves Grammar, Fixes Fan Sign During One Direction Show
- Miguel Teams up with Make Room Organization to Sing for Single Mom in Private Concert
- Happy Birthday, Queen Bey!