This Week On FM Magazine: The Jed Foundation
Deb Gordon’s guest was Dr. Victor Schwartz, Medical Director at the Jed Foundation, which is an organization whose mission is to promote emotional health and prevent suicide among college and university students and promote awareness and understanding that mental illness is treatable and suicide is preventable.
Spotlighted the recent rash of suicides among young people, including the suicide of Aaron Swartz, the co-founder of Reddit, and the role that depression played in many of them. Also discussed how the organization works to improve media coverage of suicides, especially murder suicides, to prevent suicide contagion or copycat suicides.
Suicide impacts young adults and teenagers of all races and economic groups. Mr. Schwartz provided data about depression and suicides, including the fact that 1 in 10 college students have said that they have thought about it. Mr. Schwartz also provided information about some of the ways that the organization helps those who are suffering from depression and their families.
The Jed Foundation offers U lifeline, an online resource that offers anonymous help to young adults. The Foundation has also partnered with the MTV College Network and uses networking sites and other college oriented events as tools to reach young people and educate them on the topic and how to help fellow students who may be in distress.
For more information and to find resources near you, visit www.jedfoundation.org.
Listen to the interview HERE:
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Miley Cyrus’ Homeless VMA Date, Jesse Helt, Has an Arrest Warrant
- Justin Bieber Accused of Attempted Robbery at Dave & Buster’s
- Justin Bieber Covers Johnny Cash’s ‘Ring of Fire': Watch
- Scott Weiland Imposter Allegedly Fronts Stone Temple Pilots Cover Band
- Win Tickets To See Colbie Caillat At Fresh’s Up Close & Personal
- Charli XCX Goes Back to School in ‘Break the Rules’ Video: Watch