After baby rumors last week, Sir Elton John and his husband, David Furnish, have finally made an official announcement regarding the birth of their second son. Elijah Joseph Daniel Furnish-John, 8 pounds and 4 ounces, was born at 6.40 p.m. on Friday January 11, 2013 in Los Angeles via surrogate.
The couple’s statement: “Both of us have longed to have children, but the reality that we now have two sons is almost unbelievable. The birth of our second son completes our family in a most precious and perfect way. It is difficult to fully express how we are feeling at this time; we are just overwhelmed with happiness and excitement.”
John and Furnish have one other son together, Zachary Jackson Levon Furnish-John, born Christmas day 2010 via surrogate. In an interview with Today last July (so after the couple’s surrogate was already pregnant with Elijah), John expressed a strong desire for Zachary to have a sibling, though he did not announce that they were expecting.
“When he’s four and he starts going to preschool kids will say, ‘You don’t have a mummy,’” John said. “And we know that. We talked about this before we had Zachary. And we’re gonna say, ‘Well, listen, there’s gonna be consequences involved in having a child when you’re two gay parents.’ And I want him to have a brother or a sister to go to school with him. And so that he can have someone to play with.”
John, 65, and Furnish, 50, wed in 2005 after 12 years together.
- Jillian Mapes, Radio.com
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- GRAMMY Nominations Behind the Scenes: Lorde Takes a Bow, Arsenio Fires Back at Kanye
- And the GRAMMY Nominees Are: Jay Z, Kendrick Lamar, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and Justin Timberlake
- GRAMMY Nominees 2014: The Full List
- R. Kelly Honors Nelson Mandela on ‘Arsenio Hall Show’
- Watch Daft Punk’s Video for ‘Instant Crush’ Featuring Julian Casablancas
- Interview: Travie McCoy Talks Collaborating with Jason Mraz on New Single, ‘Rough Water’