Michael Stipe And Other Celebs, Designers Aid In Sandy Relief Auction
Michael Stipe is one of many fellow musicians, celebrities and designers participating in an auction for Sandy Relief. The items donated by each creator has a personal connection and is one of a kind.
The former R.E.M. frontman is donating bronze cassette sculptures, made of solid bronze with a silver nitrate finish. Each unique cassette tape is stamped with Stipe’s name and the date 2008.
“NYC is, and has always been for me, the city of opportunity and possibility. It’s my home,” Stipe says on the auctions site, recreatenewyork.org.
Other celebrities making donations include Diane Lane, who has put the special effects rigged breastplate from the upcoming film remake of the cult classic Carrie up for bid, which she has also autographed. Former New York Ranger Sean Avery donated an autographed hockey stick and Dark Knight Rises, Les Misérables star Anne Hathaway will contribute her signed Miu Miu dress worn to The Museum of Natural History Gala.
Big names in fashion are also doing their part. Designer Donna Karen has donated an signed Urban Zen Paper Mache bag and signed copy of Stephan Weiss: Connecting The Dots, from her personal collection.
All proceeds will be donated to New York Cares.
You can view all the items up for bid from various musicians, celebrities and artists at recreatenewyork.org. The auction begins on January 11th at 10pm ET.
U2 guitarist the Edge is also making efforts to aid in Sandy Relief. His Music Rising initiative will donate an initial $250,000 and will continue to accept donations to help fund the rebuilding of music programs in the tri-state area.
More info can be found at musicrising.org.
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Pharrell and United Nations Foundation Team Up for International Day of Happiness 2014
- Listen to Michael Jackson’s Unreleased Song, ‘Slave to the Rhythm’
- Ke$ha Is Feeling Better and Ready to Make Music
- Musicians + Sports: American Authors on Baseball, the Red Sox and Kanye West’s Aquatic Calling
- Watch Kings of Leon Rate the Best Cheesesteaks of Philadelphia
- Interview: Hayley Williams on the Paramore Cruise, the Fall Out Boy Tour & Why She’ll (Probably) Never Go Solo