Adele Has The Biggest Selling Album Of The Year… Again
Adele released only one new song this year, but she still managed to rule the charts.
Her 2011 album, 21, was the best-selling album for the second year in a row, according to Billboard. This is the first time the same album has topped the charts two years in a row since Nielsen SoundScan started tracking album sales in 1991.
Adele’s album sold 4.41 million this year, more than a million less than in 2011 when she sold 5.82 million copies. But don’t feel too bad about the dip in sales; the “Someone Like You” singer’s record became the 21st album to sell 10 million copies in November.
Since March 21, when 21 debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 chart, the album has managed to find a spot in the weekly top 40.
Coming in at number two was Taylor Swift’s fourth studio album, Red, which was released in October, and has managed to sell 3.11 million.
One Direction took the third slot with their debut, Up All Night, and managed to also come in at number five with their second album, Take Me Home, making this the first time since 1991 that one act has held two spots in the top five.
Mumford and Sons held the fourth spot with Babel selling 1.46 million copies.
What we really want to know though, is there anyone left out there who hasn’t bought a copy of Adele’s 21?
If so, we’d like to talk to you.
- Shannon Carlin, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Danny DeVito Steals the Show in One Direction’s ‘Steal My Girl’ Video: Watch
- Ariana Grande, Maroon 5, Pharrell & Tim McGraw to Perform on ‘A Very GRAMMY Christmas’
- Impact: Taylor Swift Reveals Her Pop Side on New Album ‘1989’
- Matt Nathanson Partners with Starkey Hearing Foundation to Raise Awareness for the Hearing Impaired
- #InThatOrder: Ranking Maroon 5 Albums From Worst To Best
- Ariana Grande Started Questioning Catholicism After Brother Came Out as Gay