In 2012, R&B legend Bobby Womack faced – and overcame – a battle with colon cancer and life-threatening bouts of pneumonia. So it now comes as even more of a blow that Womack has now been diagnosed with early signs of Alzheimer’s Disease, which he recently revealed to BBC.
“The doctor said you have signs of Alzheimer’s,” Womack told BBC 6 Music. “He said it’s not bad yet but it’s going to get worse. How can I not remember songs that I wrote? That’s frustrating.”
Womack sang such ’70s hits “Lookin’ For A Love,” and “That’s the Way I Feel About Cha,” and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2009. That marked something of a revival in interest in his music: In 2010, he sang on “Stylo,” a single from animated act Gorillaz, which is led by Damon Albarn of ’90s Britpop band Blur. Albarn and Womack went on to produce the singer’s first album in 10+ years, 2012′s appropriately-titled The Bravest Man In The Universe.
“The most embarrassing thing was when we were getting ready to announce Damon and I can’t remember his last name,” Womack said of his worsening condition. “That’s so embarrassing.”
- Jillian Mapes, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Lady Antebellum Celebrates Life in Colorful ‘Compass’ Video
- R. Kelly Christmas Album Coming Down Chimneys in 2014
- Justin Timberlake, Taylor Swift, Coldplay, U2 & Jared Leto Up For Golden Globes
- Kelly Clarkson to Appear on TVs’ ‘Nashville’
- Mystery Man Lamar Odom, Ellen’s Marriage Is Fine & Bruce Willis Got Punched: It’s the Hollywood Hotsheet!
- Austin Mahone Drops Dancetastic Video for ‘Banga! Banga!’