In 2012, R&B legend Bobby Womack faced – and overcame – a battle with colon cancer and life-threatening bouts of pneumonia. So it now comes as even more of a blow that Womack has now been diagnosed with early signs of Alzheimer’s Disease, which he recently revealed to BBC.
“The doctor said you have signs of Alzheimer’s,” Womack told BBC 6 Music. “He said it’s not bad yet but it’s going to get worse. How can I not remember songs that I wrote? That’s frustrating.”
Womack sang such ’70s hits “Lookin’ For A Love,” and “That’s the Way I Feel About Cha,” and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2009. That marked something of a revival in interest in his music: In 2010, he sang on “Stylo,” a single from animated act Gorillaz, which is led by Damon Albarn of ’90s Britpop band Blur. Albarn and Womack went on to produce the singer’s first album in 10+ years, 2012’s appropriately-titled The Bravest Man In The Universe.
“The most embarrassing thing was when we were getting ready to announce Damon and I can’t remember his last name,” Womack said of his worsening condition. “That’s so embarrassing.”
– Jillian Mapes, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Have You Ever Received An Inappropriate Text Message at the Absolute Worst Time Ever?
- Paris Jackson Shares Photos with Godfather Macaulay Culkin
- Katy Perry Becomes Guy Fieri for Lookalike Day
- Bruno Mars Drops ‘That’s What I Like’ Remixes Featuring Gucci Mane, PARTYNEXTDOOR & Others
- Morris Day Shares ‘Over That Rainbow’ Video a Year after Prince Dies
- Zayn Malik and PARTYNEXTDOOR Release NSFW Video for ‘Still Got Time’