What’s In The Box? R.E.M. ‘Document,’ 25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition
Need a last-minute gift for the rock fan in your life? Or do you just need to figure out what to spend that awesome gift card on? We’re here to help, with rundowns of this year’s best box sets.
THE DEAL: Although R.E.M. broke up last year, there’s no short supply of bonus tracks and special editions of the band’s biggest albums floating around out there. R.E.M.’s 1987 album, Document, got the 25th anniversary treatment earlier this year, just their 1986 album, Lifes Rich Pageant, did in 2011.
The two-CD set is comprised of the digitally-remastered album and a previously unreleased recording of a 1987 concert from R.E.M.’s Work tour, the latter of which is the real reason to go for the box set. There are also four postcards included in the set, which features new liner notes from Salon culture editor David Daley. The Document reissue is also available on vinyl.
For the uninitiated, Document was among the Athens, Georgia’s breakthrough albums, and featured hits like “The One I Love” and “It’s The End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine).” The album, R.E.M.’s fifth, was their final on an independent label (I.R.S.); for 1988′s Green, they moved to Warner Bros. and saturated the mainstream even more than they had on the outwardly political Document, which criticized Reagan’s political reign.
THE PRICE: $25
RELEASE DATE: September 2012
— Jillian Mapes, CBS Local
Need more holiday gift ideas? Try our Holiday Gift Guide.
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Tiesto & Martin Garrix’s Boat Crash Landed… Into David Guetta’s Dock: See the Photos
- Michael Jackson Is Apparently to Blame for Guns N’ Roses’ Breakup
- Zayn Malik Leaving One Direction Caused a ‘Spike of Sadness’ in Spotify Streams
- 5 Rihanna Movie Appearances Before ‘Home’
- Here’s a Passover-Themed Parody of ‘Uptown Funk’
- Boston Mayor Has a Message: ‘We Must Soldier On’ Without Zayn Malik