Marcus Mumford, Skrillex, Calvin Harris Star In 30 Under 30 List
While you’re sitting on the couch, playing XBOX and eating pizza, there are people under the age of 30 (like Skrillex and Marcus Mumford) making music, going on tour and generating millions of dollars as rock stars.
Noted business magazine Forbes released this year’s edition of the title’s annual “30 Under 30” list, citing the 30 “young disruptors, innovators and entrepreneurs…impatient to change the world.” Among the musicians on the list included Marcus Mumford (25), frontman of UK folk-rockers Mumford and Sons, breakout EDM producer Skrillex (24), and Scottish DJ/producer Calvin Harris (28), who collaborates with superstars like Florence Welch of Florence and the Machine as well as making hits of his own.
Mumford and Sons had a stellar 2012, selling over 600,000 copies of their second full-length album, Babel, in the first week of release, with only Taylor Swift having a better opening week this year. They capped it off with six GRAMMY nominations, including the coveted Album of the Year for Babel.
Skrillex kicked off 2012 by winning three GRAMMYS (including Best Dance Recording), going to perform his dubstep-heavy sound at headlining shows and festivals like Outside Lands and Bonnaroo. He even penned music for a Disney movie, the video game-themed animated feature, Wreck-It Ralph.
Calvin Harris made much of his impact in the pop word, crafting mega-hits like “We Found Love” for Rihanna, as well as spinning high-profile events like the MTV Video Music Awards.
The wide-ranging list also includes rappers (Wiz Khalifa), boy bands (One Direction) and tech innovators like Daniel Ek, a cofounder of the music streaming service Spotify.
-Scott T. Sterling, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Danny DeVito Steals the Show in One Direction’s ‘Steal My Girl’ Video: Watch
- Ariana Grande, Maroon 5, Pharrell & Tim McGraw to Perform on ‘A Very GRAMMY Christmas’
- Impact: Taylor Swift Reveals Her Pop Side on New Album ‘1989’
- Matt Nathanson Partners with Starkey Hearing Foundation to Raise Awareness for the Hearing Impaired
- #InThatOrder: Ranking Maroon 5 Albums From Worst To Best
- Ariana Grande Started Questioning Catholicism After Brother Came Out as Gay