Kris Allen usually plays Christmas songs while on tour, so it was no surprise that American Idol winner would release his own holiday album.
The singer’s Waiting For Christmas EP features his five favorite songs of the season including “O Holy Night” and “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.”
When Kris stopped by CBS Local recently, he confessed he wasn’t sure how fans would feel about his take on the holiday classics.
“Christmas music is my favorite of all time,” he explained. “So we’re really excited for people to hear it. I have no idea what the reaction will be because some of it’s going to be really weird, but I think people are going to enjoy it.”
The EP, out now, features Kris’ favorite song of all time, Burl Ives’ classic “Holly Jolly Christmas” from the 1965 claymation special, Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer.
“Burl Ives is the greatest Christmas singer of all time,” Kris said.
Instead of copying Ives’ rendition though, Kris decided to add a little of his own flavor.
“There’s a little cigar box guitar playing,” he said. “It’s an interesting one, but I think it’s a lot of fun.”
Kris’ favorite song to record though was “The Christmas Song,” a staple on his concert setlist no matter what time of the year.
With all its crazy chord changes, Kris says it’s the most fun to play with his band, but for the version on his album he decided to add a little soul.
“It kind of sounds like I’m trying to do a Marvin Gaye song,” he said. “It’s interesting.”
Check out his Waiting for Christmas EP here.
- Shannon Carlin, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- GRAMMY Nominations Behind the Scenes: Lorde Takes a Bow, Arsenio Fires Back at Kanye
- And the GRAMMY Nominees Are: Jay Z, Kendrick Lamar, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and Justin Timberlake
- GRAMMY Nominees 2014: The Full List
- R. Kelly Honors Nelson Mandela on ‘Arsenio Hall Show’
- Watch Daft Punk’s Video for ‘Instant Crush’ Featuring Julian Casablancas
- Interview: Travie McCoy Talks Collaborating with Jason Mraz on New Single, ‘Rough Water’