What Does Taylor Swift Have In Common With Britney Spears And Eminem?
It used to be that superstar artists regularly went platinum, selling more than a million copies of an album. In the day and age of digital streaming services like Spotify, however, fans are simply not buying as many CDs as they once did.
So the news that Taylor Swift’s new CD Red has not only sold over a million (1.208 million to be exact, according to Nielsen SoundScan), but done so in just one week, is no less than astounding. (Red, by the way, is not currently available on Spotify.)
Congrats to @taylorswift13 for selling 1.2 million albums in a week, orrrrsssuuummmm
— Ed Sheeran (@edsheeran) October 31, 2012
The most recent album to sell a over a million during its debut week is Born This Way by Lady Gaga, which topped out at 1.108 million when it was released in May of last year.
Taylor’s first-week sales figure is the second highest for a female artist. According to Billboard, the top spot belongs to Britney Spears, whose Oops! . . . I Did It Again sold 1.319 million in 2000.
The Red sales figure includes both physical and digital copies. Billboard reports that 465,000 of those albums sold were on iTunes. Another 396,000, Billboard says, were sold by Target, which has an exclusive deal to market a “deluxe” version of Red that includes six additional songs.
– Kurt Wolff, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Win Tickets To The Screening Of “Jurassic World”
- Win Tickets To ‘Ever After, The Real Story’
- Taylor Swift Concert Bracelets Save Teens After Car Wreck
- Trevor Noah Announces ‘New and Sexy’ Daily Show Premiere Date in New Video: Watch
- Michael Jackson Molestation Lawsuit Dropped
- Kelly Clarkson Singing ‘Love Shack’ Karaoke with a 10-Year-Old Fan Is Super Cute: Watch