What Does Taylor Swift Have In Common With Britney Spears And Eminem?
It used to be that superstar artists regularly went platinum, selling more than a million copies of an album. In the day and age of digital streaming services like Spotify, however, fans are simply not buying as many CDs as they once did.
So the news that Taylor Swift’s new CD Red has not only sold over a million (1.208 million to be exact, according to Nielsen SoundScan), but done so in just one week, is no less than astounding. (Red, by the way, is not currently available on Spotify.)
Congrats to @taylorswift13 for selling 1.2 million albums in a week, orrrrsssuuummmm
— Ed Sheeran (@edsheeran) October 31, 2012
The most recent album to sell a over a million during its debut week is Born This Way by Lady Gaga, which topped out at 1.108 million when it was released in May of last year.
Taylor’s first-week sales figure is the second highest for a female artist. According to Billboard, the top spot belongs to Britney Spears, whose Oops! . . . I Did It Again sold 1.319 million in 2000.
The Red sales figure includes both physical and digital copies. Billboard reports that 465,000 of those albums sold were on iTunes. Another 396,000, Billboard says, were sold by Target, which has an exclusive deal to market a “deluxe” version of Red that includes six additional songs.
- Kurt Wolff, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Matt Nathanson Partners with Starkey Hearing Foundation to Raise Awareness for the Hearing Impaired
- #InThatOrder: Ranking Maroon 5 Albums From Worst To Best
- Ariana Grande Started Questioning Catholicism After Brother Came Out as Gay
- One Direction Announce 2015 Stadium Tour
- Iggy Azalea Takes on the Haters with ‘Iggy SZN': Listen
- Katy Perry Canceled 30th Birthday Celebration in Egypt Due to ‘Safety Concerns’