This Week On FM Magazine: Keeping Kids Safe This Halloween
Deb Gordon’s guest was Dr. Mary Pulido, child protection expert and Executive Director of The New York Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NYSPCC), the world’s first child protective agency established in 1875. NYSPCC develops new and innovative programs to meet the needs of New York City’s most vulnerable children and protect them from harm.
Ms. Pulido provided information about safety procedures and precautions that parents can take to help keep their children safe during Halloween. Some of the safety tips included: ensuring your children’s costumes are flame retardant and not longer than ankle length to avoid tripping hazards; dressing young children in bright costumes, ensuring that they never enter an unknown home or apartment while trick or treating, and teaching them basic traffic and safety rules.
Also discussed were recent incidences of attempted child abductions in New Jersey and ways that children can protect themselves including running and screaming to bring attention to the situation; as well as recent cyber bullying cases and how parents can help their children with bullying.
Spotlighted NYSPCC’s 2012 Gala which raises funds for their many programs and services . This year’s event will be held on November 13th and will honor Margo and John Catsimatidis for their longtime support of the organization’s efforts to create awareness about and fight child abuse and neglect.
The NYSPCC believes that child abuse and neglect are preventable and protecting children is everyone’s responsibility. For more information, visit www.nyspcc.org.
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Pharrell and United Nations Foundation Team Up for International Day of Happiness 2014
- Listen to Michael Jackson’s Unreleased Song, ‘Slave to the Rhythm’
- Ke$ha Is Feeling Better and Ready to Make Music
- Musicians + Sports: American Authors on Baseball, the Red Sox and Kanye West’s Aquatic Calling
- Watch Kings of Leon Rate the Best Cheesesteaks of Philadelphia
- Interview: Hayley Williams on the Paramore Cruise, the Fall Out Boy Tour & Why She’ll (Probably) Never Go Solo