5 Must-See Artists During CMJ 2012
The CMJ Music Marathon returns to occupy New York City for another week in October full of music and some insightful panels; there is literally something for everyone. But with hundreds of bands performing at dozens of venues all over NYC and Brooklyn, it is scientifically impossible to catch all of them. Chances are pretty slim that you will even be able to check out all of the artists you WANT to see as well.
We’ve decided to help. Here is short (VERY SHORT) list of bands you should see while CMJ is in town from October 16-20. It’s a nice mix of big names and local artists, something the music festival ties together very well each year.
Making the move from electropop to a more “Blondie-ish” sound, Sky Ferreira expects to release her first studio album by the end of 2012 following the success of two EPs, As If! and Ghost. If New York City isn’t familiar with Ferreira yet, they most likely will be by the end of the week; she’s playing FOUR shows during CMJ. Of all the artists you must see this week, Sky Ferreira will be one you won’t be able to make an excuse for if you miss her.
- 10.17 @ Union Hall, 8pm-9pm
- 10.18 @ Bowery Ballroom, 8pm-8:45pm
- 10.18 (Technically the 19th) @ Santos Party House Basement, 12:30am
- 10.20 @ 92Y Tribeca, 10:30pm-11pm
For those of you into the folk sound of yesteryear, The Hollows shoot you forward into the present with one of the most lively and energetic shows from any artist in New York City. You’ll sing, dance and become best friends with everyone in the room (including the band).
Catch The Hollows during CMJ:
More from The Hollows on WCBSFM.com:
- The Hollows: Contemporary Music’s Roots Rock Solution
- The Hollows Cover “The Weight”
- [PHOTOS] The Hollows Perform at Brooklyn Bowl
Asher Roth came to prominence after his party anthem “I Love College” said what every undergrad was thinking and doing; let’s be as reckless as possible but still find a way to graduate. That was in 2009 and Roth is still tearin’ it up in 2012. He’ll be a part of a showcase featuring hometown hip hop royalty from the Wu-Tang Clan, Gza and Ghostface Killa. Q-Tip, Killer Mike and many others will be on hand as well.
Asher Roth at CMJ:
Lily & The Parlour Tricks
Lily & The Parlour Tricks is another local band with a flair for fun and working hard; they’ve been known to perform up to three shows a night. Did we mention they like to sip on whiskey while they play? They do that, too.
Aside from seeing them perform, you’ll probably want to be friends with them as well (DRINKING BUDDIES).
- 10.19 @Sullivan Hall, 10pm-10:45pm
- 10.19 (Technically the 20th) @ Rockwood Music Hall Stage 2, 12:30am-1:15am
- @LILYANDTHEPTRIX on Twitter
- Lily & The Parlour Tricks on Facebook
- Lily & The Parlour Tricks Official
More from Lily & The Parlour Tricks on WCBSFM.com:
- Lily & The Parlour Tricks Perform “Darwin Song” in Studio
- Go Retro With Lily & The Parlour Tricks
- [PHOTOS] Lily & The Parlour Tricks @ The Bell House
- [PHOTOS] Lily & The Parlour Tricks @ Bowery Electric
You may be tired of Gotye‘s “Somebody That I Used To Know” by now, but without it many of us would not have been introduced to Kimbra. She’s bubbly, fun and has a killer voice, making her one of the must-see artists during CMJ 2012.
Kimbra at CMJ:
Other Artists of note performing CMJ this week:
GZA (of the Wu Tang Clan performing his album “Liquid Swords”), Space Hog (yes really!), My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult (whaaaa?!), Ben Gibbard (swoon!) and Iconapop (I LOVE IT!) PLUS Nina Sky, Local H, 12th Planet, Aarabmusik, The Presets and much, much more! Details at CMJ.com.
While you’re out and about this week, be sure to follow @CMJ on Twitter for all important updates and info.
And we’ll be updating you on all of the shows and performers we see this week during CMJ 2012, so don’t miss out on any of that!
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- This Is Great News If You Have A 4th Grader At Home
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ Announces Their New Cast For Season 21
- Watch: Miranda Lambert and Friends Playfully Cover Taylor Swift’s ‘Bad Blood’
- Miley Cyrus Trolled with ‘Miley, What’s Good?’ Comments on Instagram
- Azealia Banks Thinks Miley, Taylor, and Nicki Make Basic Music
- Demi Lovato Opens Up About New Song Dedicated to Her Late Father