Melissa Etheridge Says Make Pot Legal In New Ad
In a new video, Melissa Etheridge talks about why she thinks marijuana should be legalized.
The singer, who was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2005, is asking Colorado residents to vote yes to Amendment 64 this November. The law would make “the personal use, possession, and limited home-growing of marijuana legal for adults 21 years of age and older.” It would also regulate the sale of the drug, taxing it similarly to alcohol.
In the ad she says medical marijuana was the only thing that helped her get through chemotherapy.
“The nausea, the pain it was terrible. Prescription drugs were not helping,” she explains. “The only thing that allowed me to function and regain strength was marijuana. I’m grateful for the relief it provided me.”
Etheridge admits that before being diagnosed with cancer, she accepted the laws, but after getting sick she started to rethink things. “Funny how a serious illness can give you a new outlook.”
Now she believes the laws should be changed to legalize the drug so that sales revenue from the substance can be used for community needs.
Do you agree with Etheridge’s stance? Sound off in the comments section below.
- Shannon Carlin, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Rock in Rio Comes to Vegas: Metallica, Linkin Park, Taylor Swift, No Doubt to Headline
- Lady Gaga After Tel Aviv Show: ‘The World View of Israel is Just Not Reality’
- Sam Smith Offers a Day in His Life with ‘Restart’ Video: Watch
- Beyoncé Handles Central Park Wardrobe Malfunction with Unparalleled Grace
- Hear Aretha Franklin’s Powerful Cover of Adele’s ‘Rolling in the Deep’
- Prince Announces Album Release Livestream Party