Serious music fans are always looking to get a little insight into the tales and tributes behind their favorite songs. Whether the song is about heartbreak, love, loss or Trader Joe’s – the stories that let you into an artist’s parlor give us understanding and connect with experiences in our own lives.
Watch below as singer/songwriter Tristan Prettyman discusses the story behind the hilarious lyrics to her single “The Rebound” and performs the song acoustic in studio at Fresh 102.7 in New York City.
Interview: Tristan On Breakups, Hookups, & ‘Cedar+Gold’
Performance: Tristan Performs, Explains “My Oh My”
“I saw you, At the produce stand. By the tangerines, Bananas in your hand. We talk for five, Yeah maybe more. You don’t got a girlfriend, Anymore. And you’re pretty hot, And I’m around. For the rebound.”
The lyrics sound like they could be about a random hookup in a supermarket, but Tristan explains:
“It’s sort of anti-climactic actually,” says Tristan. “I ran into this friend at the store and I didn’t realize I knew him until he turned around… it was one of my brother’s friends. I had always had a crush on him but he was a good number of years older than me.”
After inviting him to a show and also telling him she had written a song about him, he ended up coming to the show.
“He almost didn’t come. An then when I played ‘The Rebound,’ all my friends cornered around him and he was blushing… and then he asked me for a copy of the song. He was pretty stoked I guess.”
Pick up Tristan Prettyman’s new CD Cedar+Gold in stores now!
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- GRAMMY Nominations Behind the Scenes: Lorde Takes a Bow, Arsenio Fires Back at Kanye
- And the GRAMMY Nominees Are: Jay Z, Kendrick Lamar, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and Justin Timberlake
- GRAMMY Nominees 2014: The Full List
- R. Kelly Honors Nelson Mandela on ‘Arsenio Hall Show’
- Watch Daft Punk’s Video for ‘Instant Crush’ Featuring Julian Casablancas
- Interview: Travie McCoy Talks Collaborating with Jason Mraz on New Single, ‘Rough Water’