Usher is readying his voice for the Voice. But the singer is still flying high off the news that he will be a member of the supreme council of judges on the singing competition show.
“I have not spoken to Adam [Levine] and Blake [Shelton],” he told MTV, of his co-judges. “I have not spoken to anyone with regards to [the show]. It’s still new news, but I’m really excited about it.”
Usher went on to explain why he finds the role of Voice judge a perfect fit for his musical sensibilities.
“It’s the type of show that I feel really sets up an artist and makes it about what matters most first: the voice,” he said. “Everything else comes afterwards in terms of the mentors; that’s what gives the personality, gives the opportunity to be an artist who will excel and transcend culture and also be able to tell an incredible story in music. So I like being able to be at that place. I love being a mentor.”
Last week, it was announced that Usher and Shakira will be judging on the next season of the Voice. Shakira will be keeping Christina Aguilera‘s seat warm, as the singer focuses her attention on promoting her new album Lotus, to be released on November 13. Usher will fill the chair of popular judge Cee Lo Green, who will be taking a break to work on his NBC sitcom and other projects.
“I’m highly enthusiastic about focusing my undivided attention on my additional endeavors and interests,” Cee Lo told Hollywood Reporter, “like my upcoming solo album, new Goodie Mob album, Las Vegas residency ‘Loberace,’ new memoir, and new NBC comedy.”
—E. Parker, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Coldplay’s Chris Martin Reveals His Fasting Routine and Selling ‘The President’s First Album’
- Film Your Own ‘Hotline Bling’ Video in Toronto
- 6 Drake Collaborations We’d Like to See on ‘Views From the 6’
- Beyoncé to Launch New Clothing Line with Top Shop Owner Philip Green
- Watch Kelsea Ballerini Perform ‘Should’ve Been Us’ with Tori Kelly
- Watch Ellie Goulding Sing a Country Version of ‘Love Me Like You Do’