Jay-Z And Alicia Keys Hit 5 Millie Mark For “Empire State Of Mind”
Jay-Z and Alicia Keys top their own sales records with “Empire State Of Mind.” The 2009 anthem reached a milestone this week, logging 5 million downloads and becoming the biggest selling single for the hip-hop mogul and the R&B songstress.
Previously, Jay-Z’s best seller had been “Umbrella,” his 2007 duet with former protégé and pop superstar Rihanna—a single that to date has sold 4 million copies. As for Keys, her personal best was the 2007 hit “No One,” which went on to total 3.7 million units.
But Jigga and Keys won’t have time to celebrate. Both artists have their hands full with the respective future projects. Jay-Z, the Brooklyn Nets minority owner who recently announced that he has built a Rocawear store inside the NBA team’s Barclays Center home arena, is set to host and headline the Made In America music festival in Philadelphia on September 1 and 2.
Keys is gearing up for the November 27 release of her upcoming album Girl On Fire.
“Empire State Of Mind,” a track featured on Jay-Z’s 11th studio album, The Blueprint 3, peaked at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Keys later re-recorded her own piano-driven version of the song entitled “Empire State of Mind (Part II) Broken Down,” which reached No. 4 in the UK.
—Keith Murphy, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Rock in Rio Comes to Vegas: Metallica, Linkin Park, Taylor Swift, No Doubt to Headline
- Lady Gaga After Tel Aviv Show: ‘The World View of Israel is Just Not Reality’
- Sam Smith Offers a Day in His Life with ‘Restart’ Video: Watch
- Beyoncé Handles Central Park Wardrobe Malfunction with Unparalleled Grace
- Hear Aretha Franklin’s Powerful Cover of Adele’s ‘Rolling in the Deep’
- Prince Announces Album Release Livestream Party