Jay-Z and Alicia Keys top their own sales records with “Empire State Of Mind.” The 2009 anthem reached a milestone this week, logging 5 million downloads and becoming the biggest selling single for the hip-hop mogul and the R&B songstress.
Previously, Jay-Z’s best seller had been “Umbrella,” his 2007 duet with former protégé and pop superstar Rihanna—a single that to date has sold 4 million copies. As for Keys, her personal best was the 2007 hit “No One,” which went on to total 3.7 million units.
But Jigga and Keys won’t have time to celebrate. Both artists have their hands full with the respective future projects. Jay-Z, the Brooklyn Nets minority owner who recently announced that he has built a Rocawear store inside the NBA team’s Barclays Center home arena, is set to host and headline the Made In America music festival in Philadelphia on September 1 and 2.
Keys is gearing up for the November 27 release of her upcoming album Girl On Fire.
“Empire State Of Mind,” a track featured on Jay-Z’s 11th studio album, The Blueprint 3, peaked at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Keys later re-recorded her own piano-driven version of the song entitled “Empire State of Mind (Part II) Broken Down,” which reached No. 4 in the UK.
—Keith Murphy, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Coldplay’s Chris Martin Reveals His Fasting Routine and Selling ‘The President’s First Album’
- Film Your Own ‘Hotline Bling’ Video in Toronto
- 6 Drake Collaborations We’d Like to See on ‘Views From the 6’
- Beyoncé to Launch New Clothing Line with Top Shop Owner Philip Green
- Watch Kelsea Ballerini Perform ‘Should’ve Been Us’ with Tori Kelly
- Watch Ellie Goulding Sing a Country Version of ‘Love Me Like You Do’