Rihanna On Chris Brown Fallout: “I Was More Concerned About Him”
Oprah Winfrey released another clip from her upcoming televised interview with Rihanna. This time, the pop singer explains why she was so protective of Chris Brown after the abuse incident in 2009 that drove them apart.
“It became a circus and I felt protective,” the 24-year-old said on Oprah’s Next Chapter. “I felt like the only person they hate right now is him. It was a weird, confusing space to be in because as angry as I was, as angry and hurt and betrayed, I just felt like he made that mistake because he needed help. And who is gonna help him? Nobody is going to say he needs help they are going to say he’s a monster without looking at the source. I was more concerned about him.”
The first clip Oprah released from the video offered a peek into Rihanna’s feelings at that time.
“It was embarrassing,” Rihanna said. “It was humiliating. I lost my best friend. I was resentful. I held a grudge. I was dark.”
The new revelation gives some insight into why she would agree earlier this year to record two remixes with Brown—Rihanna’s spicy “Birthday Cake” and the Brown dance track “Turn Up the Music.”
Following the assault, Brown pleaded guilty to a felony and accepted a plea deal for five years’ probation, community labor and domestic violence counseling. It was later discovered that the 23-year-old grew up in a dysfunctional household where his mother was routinely assaulted by his stepfather.
-Keith Murphy, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Stream John Mellencamp’s New Album, ‘Plain Spoken’
- Bono: ‘No One Has Deleted More U2 Songs in the Last Five Years Than the Members of U2′
- Radio.com Presents the 2014 Eventful Fan’s Choice Awards
- Enter To Win: Ariana Grande at MSG
- Listen to Queen’s ’80s Collaboration with Michael Jackson, ‘There Must Be More to Life Than This’
- Iranians Who Made Tehran ‘Happy’ Video Sentenced to Six Months in Jail, 91 Lashings