George Michael Fights Back Against Olympic Criticism
Days after appearing at the Olympics, Michael tweeted his excitement to fans and poked fun at the tabloids accusations that he performed a new single to help increase sales.
Morning everyone! Had a GREAT time at the closing! I hope you are not bothered by the press reports of my scandalous 'promotion' !!!—
George Michael (@GeorgeMichael) August 14, 2012
The singer took to the stage to perform his hit song, “Freedom ’90,” and closed with a new single called “White Light,” inspired by his recent life-threatening bout with pneumonia. The singer spent a month in an Austrian hospital after contracting the illness last year. His appearance at Olympic Stadium was the first since getting sick.
After debuting his new single, many took to Twitter to express their disappointment with his decision to perform new music instead of sticking to his hits, like all the other acts who performed at the closing ceremonies including Annie Lennox, The Who and The Spice Girls.
Some even accused Michael of trying to sell records instead of honoring his home country, the BBC reported.
Michael responded with a less than happy tweet, writing: “Please join me in telling them to f*** off!”
The singer expressed no regrets instead he defended his choice.
“It was my one chance on TV to thank you all for your loyalty and prayers, and I took it.”
What do you think about Michael’s choice? Tell us and then go watch the video for his new single, featuring Kate Moss, here.
- Shannon Carlin, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Will U2 Fans Have To Wait Until 2015 to Hear the Band’s New Album?
- Bruce Springsteen’s ‘High Hopes’ Documentary Is Coming to HBO
- Jennifer Lopez’s Drops New Single, ‘I Luh Ya Papi’ Featuring French Montana
- Photos: Charlotte Church Gets Weird, Goes All Sci-Fi In London
- New Study Finds That Some People Are Incapable of Enjoying Music
- Adam Lambert Will Join Queen On Upcoming North American Tour