Smash Mouth Bring Back The Good Times With New Album Featuring ‘Justin Bieber’
Don’t call it a comeback!
While Smash Mouth’s heyday was back in the late ‘90s with hit singles like “All Star” and “Walkin’ on the Sun,” the perennial party band’s music lives on, particularly in movies like the classic teen coming-of-age film Can’t Hardly Wait.
Smash Mouth’s lead singer, Steve Harwell, has been particularly active in TV and movies over the past decade, penning tunes for a wide range of releases including What’s New Scooby-Doo?, Kim Possible and The Pacifier.
In advance of the band’s new record, Magic–their first since Summer Girl back in 2006–they’ve released snippets of each song, including one titled “Justin Bieber.”
“The song ‘Justin Bieber’ is just a flashback from the future, ten years from now,” Harwell told CBS Local. “The song talks about things that are currently relevant like Glee, Facebook, and Justin Bieber. So the song is basically (asking) in ten years from now, will these things still be relevant or not? What has staying power and what doesn’t?”
Invoking those same sunny, good feelings of the band’s early hits, the music of Magic shows that Smash Mouth knows a thing or two about staying power, not to mention how to party like it’s 1999.
Smash Mouth’s sixth album, Magic, is due out September 4.
– Scott T. Sterling, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Gavin James Started From The Pubs In Dublin, Now He’s Here
- Jason Bateman Narrates ‘A LEGO Brickumentary’—Coming to Theaters in July
- ‘Stand by Me': Through the Years, from Ben E. King to Imagine Dragons
- Idina Menzel & James Corden Decided to Do ‘(I’ve Had) The Time of My Life’ & It Was Beautiful: Watch
- Adam Lambert’s ‘Ghost Town’ Gets TV Debut on ‘Ellen': Watch
- Katy Perry Goes Blonde All the Way to Her Eyebrows for ‘Wonderland': See the Cover