This Week On FM Magazine: Central Park in August!
Deb Gordon’s guest was Doug Blonsky, President and CEO of the Central Park Conservancy, which is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of Central Park – the most visited urban park in the country and the world. The Conservancy is promoting Central Park as a staycation destination for New Yorkers to use and enjoy the park, get away from it all, and take advantage of the many exciting happenings.
Mr. Blonsky encouraged New Yorkers to take time to go up to the North End of park above 100th street to see cascades, waterfalls, beautiful bridges and arches, and also provided information about many of the park’s free offerings: Free fishing poles for fly fishing, free chess and board games, free bird books and binoculars, and many free musical events including jazz in the Harlem Meer every Sunday in August.
Mr. Blonsky also discussed Central Park’s efforts to help New Yorkers get fit by implementing free circuit training classes utilizing the benches, parkways and stairs to turn Central Park into an outdoor gym. There are also free baseball and basketball clinics for young people.
Spotlighted Central Park’s free film festival happening Aug 21 through Aug 25, featuring cult classics including Do The Right Thing and The Big Lebowski. Danny Aiello will be on hand to kick off the event and the community will actually pick this year’s closing film by voting on the Park’s website.
For more information about all that’s happening in Central Park, visit www.centralparknyc.org.
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Fans Call for Beyoncé to Boycott Dress Designer After Supposed Racist Comment
- Hozier Soundtracks LeBron James’ Return to Akron: Watch
- Interview: Gavin Rossdale on Bush, Gwen & Being Young and Dumb
- Taylor Swift Announces New Song ‘Welcome to New York': Listen to a Preview
- Coldplay to Release Live Album, DVD Called ‘Ghost Stories Live 2014′ This November
- Gwen Stefani Just Wants a Little Honesty on New Track, ‘Baby Don’t Lie': Listen