In the fitness magazine’s August issue, the American Idol winner says she improved her health by eating better and finding an exercise routine that worked for her.
“I just wanted to be healthy,” Sparks told the mag. “It was before my 21st birthday, I had walking pneumonia, couldn’t breathe and felt totally fatigued. I remember thinking, ‘I’m in my prime. I should be happy and fit.’ That was the moment when I decided that changes needed to be made.”
These changes included passing on the mac ‘n’ cheese, onion rings and burgers and instead opting for nutritious foods like sautéed turkey and steamed carrots. With a few improvements made—specifically, she no longer treated Starbucks pastries and Frappuccinos like a food group—Sparks made portion control her priority.
“I eyeball my food to be sure it fits on a normal-sized plate,” she said. “And when it comes to seconds, I ask myself, ‘do you really need another helping or do you just want one?’”
Sparks then started working out finding trails around her home in Phoenix, AZ and joining a gym. The singer enjoys Zumba and strength training where she pumps iron to Adele, Rascal Flatts, Black Eyed Peas, and, of course, her beau, Jason Derulo.
All her hard work definitely paid off. Not only is she much happier and healthier than she was before, but her choices led to a part in her first movie, Sparkle, due out August 17.
Sparks tweeted a photo of her new confident self back in April 2011. Soon after, she got the call for the movie and four auditions later she had the part.
Read the full story with Jordin in this month’s issue of Shape.
–Shannon Carlin, CBS Local
- Watch Now: Jordin & Jason Derulo Talking Marriage >
- Watch Now: Working With Whitney “In The Impossible Box” On Jordin’s Bucket List >
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Perry Farrell Clarifies Anti-EDM Comments: ‘I LOVE DANCE MUSIC’
- See a Photo of Harry Styles from the set of ‘Dunkirk’
- Ingrid Michaelson on Using Sign Language in Her ‘Hell No’ Video
- Florida Georgia Line Address Alleged Police Incident
- Alessia Cara Covers U2’s ‘One’
- This Week On FM Magazine: Operation Backpack 2016