fun. Are Enjoying A Moment In Music Where They Can Respect Other Bands
The guys in fun. have had a very big year. First they got themselves covered by Glee. That kicked off a whirlwind that spun “We Are Young” into one of the top songs of 2012. Their reign at the top of Billboard’s Hot 100 chart only ended when Gotye came along with “Somebody That I Used To Know.” He, in turn, was unseated by Carly Rae Jepsen‘s”Call Me Maybe.”
The three artists have become an interesting trifecta, as the first group of previously unknown artists to take hold of the #1 spot, one right after the other, on Billboard’s Hot 100 in 35 years. CBS Local sat down with the guys and asked them how they felt about the other two biggest songs of 2012 so far.
“We like them all,” confirmed Andrew Dost. “I think it’s just neat that I think both songs are really good and I guess I don’t always feel that way about songs that are big. I think it’s a neat time to be making music, when you can really respect a lot of your peers. I think it’s cool.”
And while fun. have moved on to a new single, “Some Nights,” which is climbing the charts, they did bring out “We Are Young” for the MTV Movie Awards in June. The track broke an auspicious record, according to Billboard, selling over 300,000 digital downloads for 7 straight weeks. Prior to fun.’s “We Are Young,” no song had tracked that level of sales for more than 5 weeks — yes, including the juggernaut, chart-topper Adele.
The guys aren’t sick of their monster break-through single, though. They say that the enthusiasm of their fans keep it fresh.
“It’s become a meaningful thing to so many people so it feels like when that sort of energy exists, it’s impossible to get tired of it because they’re constantly reinventing it for us by showing us what it means to them,” said guitarist Jack Antonoff. “If that stops, then anything could happen. But here’s to hoping that it doesn’t stop.”
-Courtney E. Smith, CBS Local
- fun. On Drinking (Ir)Responsibly And Getting Bad Advice >
- fun. Performs “We Are Young” At City Winery Meet-And-Greet >
- fun.: So Serious About Summer Jams They’ll Fight Each Other (Or You) >
- Photos: fun. Perform @ City Winery, NYC >
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Calvin Harris Lands Spring Emporio Armani Campaign
- Madonna Denies Supposed Album Leak As Stolen ‘Unfinished Demos,’ ‘Form of Terrorism’
- Lorde, Skrillex, Rick Astley & Many More Attempt to Write the Greatest Song Ever: Watch
- Craig Wayne Boyd Wins Season 7 of ‘The Voice’
- Amy Adams Just Loves One Direction So Much: Watch
- Justin Timberlake & Jimmy Fallon Go Back To Camp For Nerdy Rendition of Third Eye Blind’s ‘Jumper': Watch