Jim & Kim’s Olympic Spotlight: NYC Fencers Miles Chamley-Watson, Nzingha Prescod and Nicole Ross
Have you ever watched Pirates of the Caribbean and wanted to pick up a sword and begin swashbuckling and fencing?
Well, we have plenty of fencers from New York City competing at the 2012 London Olympics. Miles Chamley-Watson and Nicole Ross are from Manhattan and Nzingha Prescod grew up in Brooklyn and they all train at the Fencer’s Club on West 28th Street.
Today, we just had to find out what it takes to be an Olympic fencer. We talked to Adam from the Fencer’s Club to get a feel for what fencing is all about.
Adam said most Olympic-level competitors start fencing when they are very young. He said the Fencer’s Club takes kids as young as six years old. As far as practice goes, he said the three New York Olympians practice six days a week to prepare for their events.
All three New Yorkers representing the U.S. in this year’s Olympics will compete in the Foil event. We know what you’re thinking, ‘What the heck does that mean?.’
Never fear! Adam explained…
There are three different types of fencing: Saber, Foil and Epee. Adam said the swords are very similar in size. The main differences between each style is the target. Saber allows the competitors to hit above the waist, including the head and arms, close to what you’d see in movies like Lord of The Rings, and Foil and Epee are stabbing or touching with the tip only.
Currently, Nzingha Prescod is ranked #2 among women the U.S. and #15 in the world. Nicole Ross is ranked #3 in the U.S. and #33 in the world. Miles Chamley-Watson is ranked #3 in the U.S. and #30 in the world.
Don’t forget to watch Nicole Ross and Nzingha Prescod represent New York and the U.S. in Women’s Individual Foil this Saturday, July 28 at 10:30 a.m. and Women’s Team Foil on August 2 at 9 a.m, and Miles Chamley-Watson is competing in Men’s Individual Foil July 31 at 10:30 a.m. and Men’s Team Foil August 5 at 9 a.m.
Listen to Adam explain the proper way to challenge someone to a duel and how fencers get through security with their swords!
- Olympic Spotlight: Gymnast John Orozco >
- John Orozco Serves As The Face of Gym Class Heroes’ “The Fighter” >
- Photos: NY to London: 35 Summer Olympians From The Empire State >
- ‘Like’ Jim & Kim On Facebook >
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Avicii: EDM’s Star Takes a Rock Approach to His New Album
- Justin Bieber’s new album is called…
- Watch Little Mix go to Prom in their ‘Love Me Like You’ Video
- Lady Gaga Covers ‘I Want Your Love,’ Strips Down for Tom Ford Fashion Promo
- #OnTheList with Xtine: Fresh Fall Fest Playlist Wishlist with Duran Duran, Adam Lambert + More