One year ago today Amy Winehouse died in her London home from accidental alcohol poisoning. The sultry singer was known for her addiction to drugs and alcohol as well as her trouble with the law. Despite all this, Winehouse lives on through her music and a foundation in her name. Here’s a look back at her most popular songs.
Covering The Zutons’ original, Amy and Mark Ronson put a Big Band spin on the track. Her biggest selling single to date, Amy’s voice captivates on “Valerie” alongside foot-stomping rhythms and horn features.
Her breakthrough success came through this autobiographical track. Within it, the soulful songstress tells the tale of being told to go to rehab to which she infamously said, “No, no, no.”
“Back To Black”
The title track of her Grammy-award winning album, this song embodies the soulful ’60s style of girl groups and doo-wop. Amy would go on to earn herself 5 Grammy Awards at the 2008 show despite not being there herself as she was denied a visa and access into the U.S. after trouble with the law.
“You Know I’m No Good”
Inspired by a split with boyfriend Blake Fielder-Civil, Winehouse told a journalist that she would lie on her kitchen floor with a bottle of Jack Daniel’s when the couple broke up playing the Shangri-Las’ “I Can Never Go Home Again” on repeat. Hence, the lyrics “I cried for you on the kitchen floor.”
“Body And Soul”
Her final recording, Amy performed “Body And Soul” with Tony Bennett. The song appeared on Bennett’s Duets II album and was the album’s lead single. Tony spoke with Entertainment Weekly of Amy’s talent and had nothing but praises for her.
“What I love about Amy Winehouse is that, of all the singers since the Beatles, you automatically check everyone out who’s a lot younger, but there’s been such a big walk away from jazz,” Bennett said. “Some people think that anyone could sing jazz, but they can’t. It’s a gift of learning how to syncopate but it’s also a spirit that you’re either born with or you’re not. And Amy was born with that spirit.”
-Annie Reuter, CBS Local
- Tony Bennett Honored by Amy Winehouse’s Parents >
- 10 Pop Stars We’d Like To See As Holograms >
- Watch Amy Winehouse’s Final Music Video, ‘Body and Soul’ >
- 20 Things You Didn’t Know About Amy Winehouse >
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- John Legend Has All His Luggage, Chill
- Bruno Mars’ ‘That’s What I Like’ Gets PartyNextDoor Remix
- Selena Gomez Celebrates World Kindness Day at LA High School
- Ed Sheeran’s ‘Shape Of You’ Soothes Crying Baby
- Ed Sheeran on Liberian Relief Trip: ‘Nothing Could Have Prepared Me for What I Saw’
- John Mayer Wrote ‘Still Feel Like Your Man’ About Katy Perry