Frank Ocean’s “Channel Orange” Outsells Expectations, Debuts At No. 2
Frank Ocean‘s debut set, Channel Orange, hit No. 2 on the sales charts, moving 131,000 in its first week. Orange beat out the first-week sales of Usher’s Looking 4 Myself (128K) and nearly equalled Chris Brown’s Fortune (135K), which was released earlier this month.
The release of Channel Orange comes on the heels of Ocean’s July 4 announcement that he once had a love affair with a man. Prior to his big announcement, Ocean was expected to sell a third of that amount.
Despite his spat with retailer Target, which refused to stock the album because of the early digital release, Orange moved 3000 physical CD copies as well.
The top spot this week went to the Zac Brown Band, moving over 230K of their country album Uncaged. Justin Bieber came in at No. 3 scanning 45K after four weeks of Believe. —Keith Murphy, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- New Album from Janet Jackson is Coming Soon
- Posthumous Album of Robin Gibb’s Final Recordings Coming in September
- Lorde to Curate ‘The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1′ Soundtrack
- Katy Perry Gets Down with Her Summer Self in ‘This is How We Do’ Video: Watch
- Andy Grammer Champions Honesty on New Album ‘Magazines or Novels’
- Jenny Lewis Gets Her Own Wine In Honor of ‘The Voyager’