Frank Ocean’s “Channel Orange” Outsells Expectations, Debuts At No. 2
Frank Ocean‘s debut set, Channel Orange, hit No. 2 on the sales charts, moving 131,000 in its first week. Orange beat out the first-week sales of Usher’s Looking 4 Myself (128K) and nearly equalled Chris Brown’s Fortune (135K), which was released earlier this month.
The release of Channel Orange comes on the heels of Ocean’s July 4 announcement that he once had a love affair with a man. Prior to his big announcement, Ocean was expected to sell a third of that amount.
Despite his spat with retailer Target, which refused to stock the album because of the early digital release, Orange moved 3000 physical CD copies as well.
The top spot this week went to the Zac Brown Band, moving over 230K of their country album Uncaged. Justin Bieber came in at No. 3 scanning 45K after four weeks of Believe. —Keith Murphy, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Justin Bieber’s Wink at the End of His Deposition Could Tear This World Asunder
- Lily Allen Reveals ‘Sheezus’ Release Date, New Song ‘Our Time’
- Pharrell and United Nations Foundation Team Up for International Day of Happiness 2014
- Listen to Michael Jackson’s Unreleased Song, ‘Slave to the Rhythm’
- Ke$ha Is Feeling Better and Ready to Make Music
- Musicians + Sports: American Authors on Baseball, the Red Sox and Kanye West’s Aquatic Calling