fun.: So Serious About Summer Jams They’ll Fight Each Other (Or You)
We’re in the dog days of summer now, when the sun stays out late and the heat waves just keep coming. When fun. returned home to New York City in the midst of a heatwave, CBS Local sat them down to talk summer jams. They offered up poetry in response.
Singer Nate Ruess didn’t hesitate to say, “LFO. ‘Summertime Girls.’ Does it have to be current? Yeah, that’s like the summer song of all time.”
His bandmates immediately disagreed.
Andrew Dost replied, “Well, I mean, Mungo Jerry ‘In the summertime, nah nah nah nah nah nah.’
“When the weather’s fine. It’s the lyric you were looking for,” said guitarist Jack Antonoff.
“I mean ‘Summertime girls are the kind I like/I stole your honey like I stole your bike,’” Ruess recited LFO’s lyrics by way of proving his point.
“Sounds like a d***,” replied Antonoff.
Looks like discussing the best summer song might have started a band fight.
“I also think that lyric about thinking it’s fly that girls stop by in the summer, it’s like what does that mean?” continued Antonoff. “It creates this image that there’s like girls packed into Passats or something with the roof down just stopping by places?”
“But only in the summer,” laughed Ruess.
-Courtney E. Smith, CBS Local
- Video: Fun. Performs “We Are Young” At City Winery Meet-And-Greet >
- Photos: Fun. Perform At City Winery NYC >
- Fun. Debut Battle Heavy Video For “Some Nights” >
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Pharrell and United Nations Foundation Team Up for International Day of Happiness 2014
- Listen to Michael Jackson’s Unreleased Song, ‘Slave to the Rhythm’
- Ke$ha Is Feeling Better and Ready to Make Music
- Musicians + Sports: American Authors on Baseball, the Red Sox and Kanye West’s Aquatic Calling
- Watch Kings of Leon Rate the Best Cheesesteaks of Philadelphia
- Interview: Hayley Williams on the Paramore Cruise, the Fall Out Boy Tour & Why She’ll (Probably) Never Go Solo