Michael Jackson “Bad” Doc Coming
With the 25-year anniversary of Bad right around the corner, director Spike Lee pays tribute to Michael Jackson’s 1987 album with a new documentary.
The film looks at the album and the record-breaking tour that spanned 16 months and 15 countries. It also includes interviews with Jackson’s friends, choreographers and collaborators like Sheryl Crow, who sang backup on the legendary tour. Lee also spoke with current stars like Kanye West, who talk about the King of Pop’s lasting influence.
“I’m more than just a huge fan of Michael Jackson,” Lee said in a statement. “And having the chance to actually know him and work with him, I deeply care about his legacy.”
With his film, the director said he wants to “uncover just what made this a huge coming-of–age” in Michael’s career. He will focus on the making of Bad, the follow-up to 1982’s Thriller, which is still the best-selling album of all time.
Lee’s documentary accompanies the September 18 release of Bad 25, a box set that includes a previously unreleased live DVD and CD of his July 16,1988 stop at Wembley Stadium in London during the worldwide outing.
This is not the first time the man behind such films as Do The Right Thing and Summer of Sam has honored MJ. Spike directed MJ’s 1996 video for “They Don’t Care About Us” off of HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book 1. In 2009, he directed a video for Jackson’s song, “This is It,” which was released after the pop star’s untimely death.
To find out more about the Bad 25 release, go here.
Watch Spike’s clip for “This Is It” below.
- Shannon Carlin, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Stream John Mellencamp’s New Album, ‘Plain Spoken’
- Bono: ‘No One Has Deleted More U2 Songs in the Last Five Years Than the Members of U2′
- Radio.com Presents the 2014 Eventful Fan’s Choice Awards
- Enter To Win: Ariana Grande at MSG
- Listen to Queen’s ’80s Collaboration with Michael Jackson, ‘There Must Be More to Life Than This’
- Iranians Who Made Tehran ‘Happy’ Video Sentenced to Six Months in Jail, 91 Lashings