Queen Latifah And Jill Scott To Remake “Steel Magnolias”
Steel Magnolias, the celebrated 1989 tear-jerker, is getting an update. A television remake of the classic film will feature a mostly black cast, headlined by Queen Latifah (M’lynn) and Jill Scott (Truvy).
Directed by Kenny Leon (A Raisin in The Sun), Steel Magnolias will also feature Oscar nominated actress Alfre Woodard as Ouiser; Phylicia Rashad stars as the wealthy Clairee; and Adepero Oduye takes on the role of fresh face beautician Annelle.
The re-imagining of Steel Magnolias is an ambitious undertaking. The original movie starred Julia Roberts, Sally Field, Dolly Parton and Shirley MacLaine and earned an Academy Award nomination for Roberts. Latifah, who garnered an Best Actress Oscar nominee for her career-altering role in 2002’s Chicago, is not only acting she is also taking on the role of executive producer.
While there’s no word yet on when the Lifetime movie will air, you can go here to see a trailer.
—Keith Murphy, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Beyoncé & Jay Z Light Up Paris with ‘Young Forever/Halo’ from HBO’s ‘On The Run’ Special: Watch
- Win Tickets To #WCS In LA
- We Can Survive 2014: Taylor Swift, Pharrell Williams, Ariana Grande and More
- Pat Monahan Talks Train’s ‘Sail Across the Sun’ Cruise
- Stream John Mellencamp’s New Album, ‘Plain Spoken’
- Bono: ‘No One Has Deleted More U2 Songs in the Last Five Years Than the Members of U2′