Steel Magnolias, the celebrated 1989 tear-jerker, is getting an update. A television remake of the classic film will feature a mostly black cast, headlined by Queen Latifah (M’lynn) and Jill Scott (Truvy).
Directed by Kenny Leon (A Raisin in The Sun), Steel Magnolias will also feature Oscar nominated actress Alfre Woodard as Ouiser; Phylicia Rashad stars as the wealthy Clairee; and Adepero Oduye takes on the role of fresh face beautician Annelle.
The re-imagining of Steel Magnolias is an ambitious undertaking. The original movie starred Julia Roberts, Sally Field, Dolly Parton and Shirley MacLaine and earned an Academy Award nomination for Roberts. Latifah, who garnered an Best Actress Oscar nominee for her career-altering role in 2002’s Chicago, is not only acting she is also taking on the role of executive producer.
While there’s no word yet on when the Lifetime movie will air, you can go here to see a trailer.
—Keith Murphy, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Watch Mike Shinoda and Mark Hoppus and Write a Song Together
- 10 Great Musician Selfies for National Selfie Day
- Zayn Malik Says U.S. Airports Used to Profile Him
- ‘Jerry Springer: The Opera’ Set for Off-Broadway Debut
- Foo Fighters’ New Album Features ‘Biggest Pop Star in the World’
- Billy Joel’s ‘We Didn’t Start The Fire’ Gets Historically Accurate Video