Colbie Caillat On Writing Beautiful Songs With Gavin DeGraw
“Gavin and I have been texting for a year. We’re like, ‘We have to hang out! We have to write a song together,’ but our schedules just never allowed it,” she said. “In January or February I was at my house and he was out there for Dancing with the Stars and he had days off so I said, ‘Come out to my house. Let’s just write a song and sit in the sun.’”
Gavin came in with an idea for a song and Colbie admits falling in love with it.
“I thought it was beautiful and wanted to be a part of it. The next couple days we wrote together and worked on the song and basically just bounced lyric ideas off of each other trying to figure out which direction we wanted to take the song,” Colbie said.
A year in the making, Colbie said while they realized most songs are “about love and relationships and hard times people go through,” they were trying to figure out the right perspective to be singing it from.
“[‘We Both Know’] is a song about two people that are confused on where they are at in their relationship but they know each other’s limits and how far to push each other and how far, when to step back,” she said. “I think it’s a really good relationship song for anyone who’s confused at where they’re at in life.”
While the duo have yet to perform the song live, Colbie said they hope to make the track available for fans.
“We’re going to record it soon, probably after the summer tour,” she said. “We both just put records out a year ago so I don’t know if it’ll be on anything soon. We’ll see! I hope because I want people to hear it.”
Fans might be able to hear the track on their tour later this month as Colbie just revealed in a Twitter Q&A that the song is complete.
– Annie Reuter, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Australians Constructing 68-Story Tower Dedicated to Beyoncé
- Stream ‘Nina Revisited… A Tribute to Nina Simone’ Featuring Lauryn Hill, Usher & More
- Can Women Be Beautiful and Funny? Hollywood Execs Still Not Sure
- Alison Brie Trying Salt N Pepa’s ‘Shoop’ on ‘Lip Sync Battle’ Is the Whitest Thing: Watch
- Kanye West Is the Only Feature on the Weeknd’s New Album, Says Ed Sheeran
- Britney Spears Recreating the ‘Oops I Did It Again’ Cover with Her Sons Will Make You Feel Old