Melissa Etheridge Stays Positive on New Song
Over the last few years, Melissa Etheridge has been in the news more for her marital woes than her singing. But on her newest song, the singer stays positive and shows her love for roots music.
With a banjitar–a combination banjo-guitar–in her hands, Etheridge sings a toast to herself on her latest single, “Falling Up.” Later on, the singer tips her hat to Andre 3000’s hit from back in 2003, “Hey Ya,” advising we all “shake it like a Polaroid picture.” This is the new fun and fancy-free Melissa.
In an interview with Rolling Stone she explains that the down home “Falling Up” conveyed that optimistic feeling that she needed after a rough couple of years.
“It was a feel-good thing,” she told the mag. “It’s about me moving on, feeling good, I’m falling up. I might be learning these lessons hard. They might be coming hard and fast to me but I’m falling up. I’m going somewhere good.”
The song is off Etheridge’s upcoming 11th album, 4th Street Feeling, named after the main drag in her hometown of Leavenworth, Kansas. The album, which was recorded in Los Angeles, marked a breakthrough in her nearly 25-year career.
“This has been my favorite, most enjoyable time in the studio,” she said. “I believed in myself more in this album than I ever have.”
The 12-song LP, due out September 4, took a year to write and is the follow-up to 2010’s Fearless Love.
Melissa is currently on tour Down Under, but returns to the States on July 23 with a show in Honolulu, Hawaii. To see if she’s coming to your town, check here.
Go to Rolling Stone’s website to listen to “Falling Up.”
-Shannon Carlin, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Pharrell and United Nations Foundation Team Up for International Day of Happiness 2014
- Listen to Michael Jackson’s Unreleased Song, ‘Slave to the Rhythm’
- Ke$ha Is Feeling Better and Ready to Make Music
- Musicians + Sports: American Authors on Baseball, the Red Sox and Kanye West’s Aquatic Calling
- Watch Kings of Leon Rate the Best Cheesesteaks of Philadelphia
- Interview: Hayley Williams on the Paramore Cruise, the Fall Out Boy Tour & Why She’ll (Probably) Never Go Solo