Ryan Tedder seems to have the Midas touch; turning every song he touches into gold. From writing “Rumor Has It” with Adele to coming up with Beyoncé’s “Halo” to his most recent collaboration with Gym Class Heroes on their anthem “Fighter,” it’s like this guy couldn’t write a bad song if he tried. Now Colbie Caillat and Gavin DeGraw, who are currently trekking across the country together on their summer tour, are singing Tedder’s praises.
Colbie met Ryan when she was just a teenager and the two became fast friends. She recently got a chance to work with Tedder on her most 2011 album, All of You, co-writing “Brighter Than The Sun” and “Favorite Song” with the gifted bard.
The “Bubbly” singer told CBS Local that she loves having a friend that she can trust in the music business and finds herself calling the One Republic frontman to get his advice on everything from songwriting to performing live.
“Ryan is just one of those honest brilliant writer/producers,” she said. “Anything that comes out of his mouth is amazing.”
After years of crossing paths, Ryan and Gavin finally got a chance to work together on his 2011 album, Sweeter. The two holed up in a Nashville studio to write together and even though DeGraw had never teamed up with another lyricist before, the duo managed to come away with two songs for Gavin’s latest record.
One of those songs was “Sweeter,” the second single off the record of the same name. Gavin says the song shows off the special creative chemistry, or musical bromance, the two guys had together.
“We had this Sly and the Family Stone meets, you know, Black Keys, something very earthy about it. Sexy about it,” the singer explained. “It was sexy and masculine. It wasn’t wimpy, ‘I’m pawing you, please love me.’ It was all man.”
- Gavin On Covering Kenny Chesney At 2011 CMT Awards [Interview] >
- Gavin Talks Life In Nashville vs. Life In NYC [Interview] >
- Gavin DeGraw In Studio [Photos] >
The single, which DeGraw says is “sexy in the best way,” was the first song they wrote together, but definitely won’t be the last.
“I happen to love Ryan,” he said. “I like his persona. He’s confident, but he’s excitable. You know, he’s inspired. He’s someone who has the right to exude his confidence. It’s not an act. This is a person who is truly gifted and should be as confident as he is.”
Watch the end result of the Tedder/DeGraw collaboration below.
-Shannon Carlin & Annie Reuter, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo Officially Parents, But What’s Up With the Baby’s Name?
- Shawn Mendes Pokes Fun of Jimmy Fallon on ‘The Tonight Show’
- Adele on Quitting Smoking: ‘I’m Convinced That’s Made my Voice Weaker’
- Diddy Donates $1 Million to Howard University Scholarship Fund
- 5 Best Songs on Shawn Mendes’ ‘Illuminate’
- Justin Timberlake Revamps ‘Can’t Stop the Feeling!’ with James Corden, Gwen Stefani