It’s no secret that Rihanna has found commercial success outside the U.S. But she has achieved a new milestone in the UK, where she reached record sales of 20 million, according to the Official Charts Company.
The controversial Bajan superstar has sold six million albums and 14 million singles since making her 2005 debut with Music of the Sun.
“Rihanna’s record, in selling more than 20 million records in the space of seven years, is truly staggering,” said Martin Talbort, the managing director of the Official Charts Company. “There certainly must have been something in the water when she – and Adele three months later – was born in spring 1988!”
During RiRi’s impressive run, the global superstar has achieved several musical milestones across the pond. Her Calvin Harris-produced single “We Found Love” has moved 1.14 million copies. The 24-year-old’s much talked about collaboration with rap icon Eminem “Love The Way You Lie” and the Loud single “Only Girl (In The World)” have also sold over a million copies.
Last November, Rihanna scored two No.1 albums—Loud and Talk That Talk—in the same year. Her biggest selling record still goes to 2007’s Good Girl Gone Bad, which has moved 1.85 million copies to date.
Aside from Rihanna’s sales figures, she made a splash this weekend on the UK’s big stage. She was joined by legendary hip-hop superstar and mentor Jay-Z during her spirited set at London’s Hackney Weekend 2012. —Keith Murphy, CBS Local
Rihanna’s Top 10-selling UK singles:
1. “We Found Love”—Rihanna ft. Calvin Harris
2. “Love the Way You Lie”—Eminem ft. Rihanna
3. “Only Girl (In the World)”—Rihanna
4. “What’s My Name?”—Rihanna ft. Drake
5. “Umbrella”—Rihanna ft. Jay-Z 6. “S&M”—Rihanna
7. “Rude Boy”—Rihanna
8. “Who’s That Chick?”—David Guetta ft. Rihanna
10. “Russian Roulette”—Rihanna
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- John Legend Has All His Luggage, Chill
- Bruno Mars’ ‘That’s What I Like’ Gets PartyNextDoor Remix
- Selena Gomez Celebrates World Kindness Day at LA High School
- Ed Sheeran’s ‘Shape Of You’ Soothes Crying Baby
- Ed Sheeran on Liberian Relief Trip: ‘Nothing Could Have Prepared Me for What I Saw’
- John Mayer Wrote ‘Still Feel Like Your Man’ About Katy Perry