After taking a break for a few years Boy Like Girls are officially back on the scene. The guys have reemerged with their first new record since 2009’s Love Drunk and a tour in the Fall. One of their first shows back together was at Alice’s Summerthing in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park where frontman Martin Johnson talked about the group’s hiatus and recording new material.
Johnson explained that music was moving away from guitar driven rock and that it “was tough for a band like us.”
“We wrote a record. It didn’t really feel like Boys Like Girls. We threw it out,” he said. “It felt like we were trying to conform to what was going on the radio and that didn’t feel like the band. We felt that was unfair to us and the people that loved the last two records.”
The frustration of throwing out a record led the members to taking a hiatus (not a breakup) to work on side projects and for Johnson to move to Nashville and collaborate and experiment with other music.
“A year later I came back with what would be the album Crazy World. It’s a different perspective on the band,” he said. “I called the guys up and said ‘Lets do this!'”
Boys Like Girls headed to Johnson’s home studio and spent the next eight months crafting their upcoming third studio album. The new album, Crazy World, is scheduled to hit stores in Fall 2012.
– Bradford Hornsby, Alice@97.3/San Francisco
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Coldplay Not Performing Israeli-Palestinian Peace Concerts
- Stream Foo Fighters Concert Live Right Now!
- Oscars Secrets Revealed + the Truth About the Red Carpet
- Win Tickets To The Game of Thrones Live Concert Experience
- Ariana Grande’s Charm is ‘Dangerous’ in New York City
- John Mayer Unpacks ‘The Search for Everything’ Wave 2