Michael McDonald recently kicked off the Dukes of September tour in St. Louis, Missouri alongside Donald Fagen of Steely Dan and Bozz Scaggs. While in his hometown, the singer talked to local radio station Fresh 102.5 about the musical connection him and Fagen have had for forty years.
It’s been nearly two decades since the two musicians toured together as The New York Rock & Soul Revue, but McDonald said the guys always planned to reunite. Unfortunately, things always seemed to get in the way.
“We would have probably done it every year since then,” he said. “But for everybody having their respective careers to tend and families and stuff, it’s hard to do something like this for the joy of it as much as you want. Other things take precedent.”
This is the fourth time the three musicians have toured together—the original tour also featured the late blues artist Charles Brown and the folk singer Phoebe Snow, who died last year.
Though it’s been awhile since they’ve played together, McDonald says he’s had a musical connection with Fagen since the ’70s, thanks to their respective bands.
“I think a lot of it was we were coming up at the same time,” he said.
The bands first toured together in 1972, something Michael is still surprised about: “To think that I’m on the same stage as Donald Fagen after all these years…is really kind of a neat thought.”
-Shannon Carlin, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- New Music to Know: Drake Collaborator Sampha Brings His British Soul Across the Pond
- Jim & Kim’s 12 Days Of Christmas Toys: Cra-Z-Loom Bracelet Maker
- Vampire Weekend, Beck, Fiona Apple, on Starbucks Covers Compilation
- Beyonce’s New Album Gets Surprise iTunes Release
- Kim’s College: Madea, Beyonce and Mila
- Mr. Annoying, Kris Jenner Needs More Surgery & Jonah Hill Gets Revenge: It’s the Hollywood Hotsheet!