Radiohead Being Investigated Following Stage Collapse, Death of Drum Tech
As Radiohead mourn the death of their drum technician due to a stage collapse this past weekend in Toronto, all five of the band’s members are being called upon to cooperate in an investigation of the incident.
According to the Toronto Star, guitarist Jonny Greenwood, drummer Philip Selway, bassist Colin Greenwood, guitarist Ed O’Brien and singer Thom Yorke are all listed as board members of Ticker Tape Touring LLC, one of the four key companies behind the event.
Along with promoter Live Nation, Optex Staging and Solutions and a staffing firm known as Nasco, band members are being questioned about events that lead to the tragedy Saturday after at Toronto’s Downsview Park.
Canadian Ministry of Labour spokesman Matt Blajer said that the investigation will focus on Live Nation, though details will “take time to unravel.”
“We’re still trying to figure out who owns what, who’s responsible for what,” Blajer said. “You’ve got lighting technicians, sound technicians, the band’s people – we’re trying to figure out who worked for whom.”
Thirty-three-year-old drum technician Scott Johnson was crushed by the stage when it collapsed about 4 p.m. Saturday afternoon. He was reportedly trapped under rubble and pronounced dead at the collapse, the severity of which can be seen in this aerial video. A crowd of 40,000 fans were advised not to come to the venue following the incident, which also injured three other crew members.
Radiohead drummer Philip Selway wrote about the incident on the band’s website on Sunday: “We have all been shattered by the loss of Scott Johnson, our friend and colleague. He was a lovely man, always positive, supportive and funny; a highly skilled and valued member of our great road crew. We will miss him very much. Our thoughts and love are with Scott’s family and all those close to him.”
- Jillian Mapes & Michael Verity, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Taylor Swift Says She Was ‘Never Taught the Definition of Feminism’ as a Little Girl, Wishes She Had Been
- This Taylor Swift/Beyoncé Mashup Will Change Your Life
- The Rolling Stones Releasing New Photo Book With Sticker Shock-Inducing Price Tag
- Elton John to LGBT Communities Regarding HIV/AIDS: ‘Wise Up’
- Taylor Swift on Why ‘1989’ Song ‘How You Get the Girl’ Could Result in a Restraining Order: Watch
- Taylor Swift Making Demon Cat Sounds with Her Mouth is Glorious: Watch