Whitney Houston’s New Movie In Talks With Broadway
Whitney Houston’s new movie-musical, Sparkle, comes out in theaters August 17, but it might soon find a permanent home on the Broadway stage.
The writer and producer of the original 1978 movie, Howard Rosenman, is in talks to convert this year’s version into a Broadway musical with help from Joel Schumacher, who took The Phantom of the Opera from stage to screen in 2004, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Along with all the original music composed by Curtis Mayfield and the two songs that were added to the new film– the gospel hymn, “His Eye is on the Sparrow” and the song “Celebrate” penned by R. Kelly –they have plans to add five new songs to the show. No word yet on who would write them.
On August 7, fans can also pick up a copy of the book based on Sparkle, giving them ten days to read up before the film’s release.
Listen to Houston and Sparks’ duet, “Celebrate” from the movie soundtrack, which also features music from Cee Lo Green, due out July 31.
- Shannon Carlin, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- How To Get That Fierce Holiday Look by Beyoncé’s Makeup Artist Francesca Tolot
- Katy Perry Reveals Holiday Covergirl Campaign
- 18 Holiday Gifts For The Music Lover In Your Life
- Lorde Was Taylor Swift’s Manager For One Night, And One Night Only
- Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett Help Us Swing Into the Holidays With New H&M Commercial: Watch
- Rihanna Teases New Album with 15-Second Snippet