Rob Thomas Discusses Mixing Alcohol with Songwriting
One of this year’s most anticipated album releases is going to be the return of Matchbox Twenty with North – their first studio album in almost a decade. Frontman Rob Thomas recently spoke with Alice@97.3/San Francisco about the writing process and how alcohol helped it along – sometimes.
Thomas and the rest of the band spend time in Los Angeles, New York, and Nashville crafting the music for the new album in a much different way then in past efforts.
“In the past I kinda wrote everything and brought it to the band.” Thomas said, “This is the first time it was more collaborative.”
Once they got a batch of “30 or 40″ song ideas, the band rented a space in Nashville and spent a few months finding the direction of album.
“It really was just us drinking ourselves into oblivion for three months. And fighting.”
Their drink of choice to find inspiration during the time?
“For us, for some reason, it was really just red wine.”
Thomas continued to joke, “Funny cuz you start drinking and there is a creative point where you are drinking and it is like ‘wow this is amazing’ and you are feeling free and creative. And then at some point it switches and it’s over. Now we are just bumbling idiots with guitars.”
Bradford Hornsby, Alice@97.3/San Francisco
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Taylor Swift is Your Tour Guide in ‘Welcome to New York’
- Watch Taylor Swift’s Visit with the Naked Chef, ‘Shake It Off’ Parody ‘Bake It Off’
- Singing Nun Releases Debut Single and It’s Madonna’s ‘Like a Virgin’
- Foo Fighters Will Play Chicago’s Wrigley Field Next Summer
- Lorde’s ‘Hunger Games’ Soundtrack to Feature Kanye West, Charli XCX, Tinashé
- You Are Not Alone: James Blunt Also Got Sick of Hearing ‘You’re Beautiful’