Def Leppard Says Mary J. Blige Perfect Fit for “Rock of Ages”
This weekend, the long-anticipated film version of the Broadway musical Rock Of Ages hit theaters. The movie celebrates some of rock music’s biggest hits of the ’80s, with classics from Night Ranger, Bon Jovi, Pat Benatar and Def Leppard making the film.
Some may have been surprised at first when R&B superstar Mary J. Blige was cast as strip club owner Justice Charlier. The members of Def Leppard weren’t. Guitarist Phil Collen says that Blige is such a great vocalist, that she can tackle any genre of music.
Blige sings a number of songs in the film, including Benatar’s “Shadows Of The Night,” and appears on group versions of Poison’s “Every Rose Has Its Thorn” and Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’.”
Blige has had some other rock and roll moments : she covered Led Zeppelin’s “Whole Lotta Love” and “Stairway To Heaven” (both are available on iTunes) she also recorded a new version of U2’s “One” backed by U2 (it’s on her 2005 album The Breakthrough), and did a live duet version of “I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues” with Elton John (for his live album One Night Only from 2000).
–Brian Ives, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Calvin Harris Lands Spring Emporio Armani Campaign
- Madonna Denies Supposed Album Leak As Stolen ‘Unfinished Demos,’ ‘Form of Terrorism’
- Lorde, Skrillex, Rick Astley & Many More Attempt to Write the Greatest Song Ever: Watch
- Craig Wayne Boyd Wins Season 7 of ‘The Voice’
- Amy Adams Just Loves One Direction So Much: Watch
- Justin Timberlake & Jimmy Fallon Go Back To Camp For Nerdy Rendition of Third Eye Blind’s ‘Jumper': Watch