A Healthy Phillip Phillips Returns To The Stage
Phillip Phillips isn’t wasting any time after his recent kidney surgery. The newest American Idol is heading to our nation’s capital for his first post-show performance.
After taking a few weeks off to recuperate from his June 7 surgery, the singer is performing at the National Mall in Washington, D.C on July 4. This will mark the 21-year-old Georgia native’s first performance not only since his surgery, but also since winning the big show. Phillips beat out 16-year-old San Diego native, Jessica Sanchez, even while suffering from pain that sometimes made it hard to stand and enduring several small surgeries during breaks from competition.
“It’s probably the biggest thing I’ve ever done besides American Idol,” he told Billboard. “I’m just excited to get out there and do my first real live performance since everything that’s been going on.”
For Phillips’ return to the stage and his first trip to D.C, the singer will perform his winning single, “Home,” on the lawn of the Capitol before the annual fireworks. He will be joined by country singer, Josh Turner, Smash star Megan Hilty, composer John Williams and Broadway star Matthew Broderick.
Just two days later on July 6, Phillips will head out on the American Idol Tour with the other top nine contestants from this season, kicking things off in Detroit and ending in Milwaukee at the beginning of September. Check out a full list of tour dates here.
Watch Phillips’ winning performance of “Home” from AI below.
-Shannon Carlin, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Shania Twain Says New Album is In the Works
- 8-Seconds of White Noise from Taylor Swift Topped the Canadian iTunes Chart
- Sia Does ‘You’re Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile’ For ‘Annie’ Soundtrack: Listen
- Related Questions: Walk the Moon, ‘Shut Up and Dance’
- We Can Survive 2014: What Have the Performers Been Up To?
- Taylor Swift Teases New Song ‘Never Go Out of Style’ in Target Commercial: Watch