A Healthy Phillip Phillips Returns To The Stage
Phillip Phillips isn’t wasting any time after his recent kidney surgery. The newest American Idol is heading to our nation’s capital for his first post-show performance.
After taking a few weeks off to recuperate from his June 7 surgery, the singer is performing at the National Mall in Washington, D.C on July 4. This will mark the 21-year-old Georgia native’s first performance not only since his surgery, but also since winning the big show. Phillips beat out 16-year-old San Diego native, Jessica Sanchez, even while suffering from pain that sometimes made it hard to stand and enduring several small surgeries during breaks from competition.
“It’s probably the biggest thing I’ve ever done besides American Idol,” he told Billboard. “I’m just excited to get out there and do my first real live performance since everything that’s been going on.”
For Phillips’ return to the stage and his first trip to D.C, the singer will perform his winning single, “Home,” on the lawn of the Capitol before the annual fireworks. He will be joined by country singer, Josh Turner, Smash star Megan Hilty, composer John Williams and Broadway star Matthew Broderick.
Just two days later on July 6, Phillips will head out on the American Idol Tour with the other top nine contestants from this season, kicking things off in Detroit and ending in Milwaukee at the beginning of September. Check out a full list of tour dates here.
Watch Phillips’ winning performance of “Home” from AI below.
–Shannon Carlin, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- What Is Mariah Carey Working on with Justin Bieber and French Montana?
- #OnTheList with Xtine: 4 Musicians You Will Instantly Fall In Love With After One Listen
- Win Passes To The World Premiere of “The Man From U.N.CL.E.”
- Be in Pharrell’s Next Music Video, We’ll Tell You How
- Smokey Robinson to be Honored By Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Duran Duran’s Simon Le Bon Reveals the Glue That Kept ‘Paper Gods’ Together