A Healthy Phillip Phillips Returns To The Stage
Phillip Phillips isn’t wasting any time after his recent kidney surgery. The newest American Idol is heading to our nation’s capital for his first post-show performance.
After taking a few weeks off to recuperate from his June 7 surgery, the singer is performing at the National Mall in Washington, D.C on July 4. This will mark the 21-year-old Georgia native’s first performance not only since his surgery, but also since winning the big show. Phillips beat out 16-year-old San Diego native, Jessica Sanchez, even while suffering from pain that sometimes made it hard to stand and enduring several small surgeries during breaks from competition.
“It’s probably the biggest thing I’ve ever done besides American Idol,” he told Billboard. “I’m just excited to get out there and do my first real live performance since everything that’s been going on.”
For Phillips’ return to the stage and his first trip to D.C, the singer will perform his winning single, “Home,” on the lawn of the Capitol before the annual fireworks. He will be joined by country singer, Josh Turner, Smash star Megan Hilty, composer John Williams and Broadway star Matthew Broderick.
Just two days later on July 6, Phillips will head out on the American Idol Tour with the other top nine contestants from this season, kicking things off in Detroit and ending in Milwaukee at the beginning of September. Check out a full list of tour dates here.
Watch Phillips’ winning performance of “Home” from AI below.
-Shannon Carlin, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Check Out Rihanna’s Sensual New Rogue Man Fragrance Ads
- Katy Perry Isn’t Part of the Illuminati — But She’d Like to Be
- Sam Smith’s Video for ‘I’m Not The Only One’ Gives Us a Very Sad Dianna Agron
- Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch Could Be Yours For $50 Million
- Radiohead: Jonny Greenwood Announces Live Debut of ‘Water,’ Phil Selway Releases ‘Coming Up for Air’ Video
- Ne-Yo Sues Ex-Manager Who Allegedly Cheated Him Out of Over $4 Million